In the midst of long summer nights, the outdoor kitchen is an oasis in the desert keeping the cooking outside and the cool air inside. As we are nearing the end of the Sizzling Summer Series, each selection has provided tasty adventures of various styles and influences to maximize the potential of your grill. This week we bring Spicy Buffalo Chicken Burgers, a fusion of spicy buffalo wings into a hand-crafted burger. Featuring the classic heat from your favorite buffalo sauce sweetened with honey, these simple burgers become a fun rendition with less mess.
Since we are making chicken burgers rather than chicken sandwiches, we begin a pound of spicy chicken sausage with the casings removed and form them into patties. The chicken sausage resembles the texture of ground beef while maintaining characteristics of chicken. The basting sauce for the patties is a simple combination of melted butter, honey, and your favorite buffalo sauce. The butter and honey smoothens and sweetens the vinegar from the buffalo sauce while maintaining the heat. The burgers are assembled on a pretzel bun with slices of red onions and topped with blue cheese crumbles. So keep the climate war out of the house and at your grill – these chicken burgers will make your taste buds sing, your forehead sweat, and your belly oh so satisfied!
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Burger Ingredients
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 pound spicy chicken sausage, casings removed
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- red onion slices
- 4 pretzel buns (or your favorite bun)
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Burger Directions
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine butter and honey. Once butter mixture is melted add buffalo sauce. Whisk to combine, once mixture is almost boiling (starting to bubble) reduce to simmer until thickened.
- Portion and form chicken sausage into patties slightly larger than your bun (4 ounce to serve 4, 8 ounce to serve 2). Make a slight indentation in the center of the burger to prevent it from doming up in the center. The indentation will rise as your burger cooks.
- Grill until golden brown and slightly charred (about 3-5 minutes), turning once (cook for 3 minutes on the other side for medium). Once patty is turned liberally brush hot sauce onto burger. After you remove the burger from the heat, brush the other side. Try not to press down on your burger with a spatula. It will cause the juices to escape and will create a dry burger!
- To assemble burger, place 2 rings of red onion on the bottom bun. Place the chicken sausage on top. Make sure chicken sausage patty is well coated in hot sauce. Add blue cheese to top of burger and serve!
Taken from: TheSlowRoastedItalian.com
The post Spicy Buffalo Chicken Burger – Sizzling Summer Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.