Autumn is the perfect time for grilling because it's a season of warmth and comfort. It's also a season where you can experiment with new flavors to add variety to your usual grilled items. This week, we have Spice-Marinated and Grilled Lamb Chops, a delicious lamb chop recipe that will keep your taste buds guessing with the flavors of toasted spices, lime, and mint.
The robust marinade combines many spices and ingredients, including toasted fennel seeds, serrano chile, ginger, garlic, crème fraîche, lime juice, mustard oil, mango powder, fenugreek leaves, pepper, nutmeg, chili powder, and oil. Once the lamb has marinated for at least two hours, grill it over medium heat. Lamb is beautiful and mild meat, and this hearty version with the addition of cilantro and mint transforms it into something remarkable. Serve with lemon wedges for a gorgeous meal that is perfect on a brisk fall evening.
Spice-Marinated and Grilled Lamb Chops Ingredients
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 serrano chile, finely grated
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ¼ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchoor; optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder or paprika, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
- 12 lamb rib chops (about 2¼ pounds total), frenched
- Kosher salt
- Mint leaves, cilantro leaves with tender stems, and lemon wedges (for serving)
- A spice mill or mortar and pestle
Spice-Marinated and Grilled Lamb Chops Directions
- Toast fennel seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan often, until fragrant, about 45 seconds; let cool. Finely grind in a spice mill or with mortar and pestle. Transfer to a large bowl; add chile, ginger, garlic, crème fraîche, lime juice, mustard oil (if using), mango powder (if using), fenugreek leaves, pepper, nutmeg, 1 tsp. of chili powder, and 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil and mix well. Season lamb chops with salt, add to marinade, turn to coat, and cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Let lamb chops sit at room temperature 1 hour before grilling.
- Prepare a grill for medium heat, oil grate, and grill lamb to the desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a platter; let rest 5–10 minutes.
- Top the lamb with mint and cilantro, and dust with more chili powder. Serve with lemon wedges.
Do Ahead: Lamb can be marinated 12 hours ahead. Keep chilled.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spice-marinated-and-grilled-lamb-chops