Sausages with Grilled-Onion Chowchow – Game Day Grilling Series
Football is coming fast and hard; so don’t be caught unprepared for the big day. The Game Day Grilling Series puts the recipes for success in your hand so you don’t miss a minute of the big game. Next up is a fun take on a football favorite – Sausages with Grilled-Onion Chowchow. Featuring tasty, robust sausages served with a sweet and sour relish, this simple recipe is perfect for a halftime refueling.
The Chowchow is a sweet and sour relish that features onions that have been grilled and chopped. The smoky-char flavored onions added with cider vinegar, brown sugar, grainy mustard, Dijon mustard, caraway seeds, and turmeric creates a flavor explosion that is well suited for the full-bodied sausages. Grilled over medium-high heat until golden with beautiful grill marks, the sausages are ready to be devoured. The time is now to get prepared for the epic kickoff, so grab the box of streamers, pennants, and foam fingers, and celebrate with the Game Day Grilling Series.
Sausages with Grilled-Onion Chowchow Ingredients
- 2 sweet onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 jalapeños
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds mixed sausages (The sausages can include Italian fennel, merguez, turkey and chicken sausages, which will cook in about 12 minutes; and andouille and kielbasa sausages, which will cook in about 10 minutes.)
Sausages with Grilled-Onion Chowchow Directions
- Light a grill. Skewer each onion slice with a toothpick. Thread the jalapeños on a skewer. Brush the onions and jalapeños with olive oil and grill over a hot fire until charred but still slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the toothpicks and skewer. Coarsely chop the onions. Peel and chop the jalapeños.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cider vinegar with the light brown sugar, grainy and Dijon mustards, caraway seeds and turmeric and bring to a simmer. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 12 minutes. Stir the cornstarch mixture, add it to the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the sausages over a medium-high fire until golden and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the sausages with the grilled-onion chowchow.
Taken from FoodAndWine.com
The post Sausages with Grilled-Onion Chowchow – Game Day Grilling Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.