Sambal Chicken Skewers – Grillsanity!
Two things in life never get old – sports and grilling! And the next three weeks will be a furious combination of both passions as the NCAA College Basketball Tournament explodes with 48 games in four days. Grillsanity is here to keep the flaming-hot food coming through this feverish pace with Sambal Chicken Skewers. Fiery red and beautiful, these Asian-inspired skewers will explode in your mouth featuring hot chili paste, caramelized brown sugar, and fresh aromatic ginger.
This recipe is all about the marinade and basting sauce, which is a simple combination of brown sugar, rice vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, Sriracha, and ginger. After marinating, bring the remaining marinade to boil in a saucepan and then reduce by half to form the basting sauce. Assemble the skewers and grill over medium-high heat, basting often until finished cooking. The brown sugar, chili paste, Sriracha, and ginger will caramelize around the charred chicken forming a dark red coating that is utterly scrumptious. Suitable for any sport, but perfectly matched for the drama and maniacal action of March Madness, these Sambal Chicken Skewers will bring a dose of Grillsanity to your table.
Sambal Chicken Skewers Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 2 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch–2-inch pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water at least 1 hour
Sambal Chicken Skewers Directions
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Whisk brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, Sriracha, and ginger in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let the chicken sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Remove chicken and thread 4 or 5 pieces onto each skewer.
- Transfer leftover marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half (about 1 cup), 7–10 minutes.
- Grill chicken, turning and basting often with reduced marinade, until cooked through, 8–10 minutes.
Taken from BonAppetit.com
The post Sambal Chicken Skewers – Grillsanity! appeared first on Summerset Grills.