Here at Summerset Grills, we inspire our customers and readers to grill all year round, because there is nothing like great food roasted over open flame. Thanksgiving is another wonderful opportunity to utilize the grill on a day when the indoor oven dominates the meal preparation. Next in our Thanksgiving on the Grill series is Orange-Glazed Grilled Acorn Squash, a buttery-sweet rendition of this hearty vegetable combining flavors of the season into a beautiful side dish. This recipe begins in the oven and finishes on the grill allowing added flexibility on a busy day of cooking with multiple dishes.
The acorn squash are first cut in half lengthwise, the seeds and membranes are removed, and they are baked in the oven to soften with butter, salt, and pepper. Meanwhile, the orange glaze is prepared by combining orange juice, brown sugar, allspice, and cinnamon. The squash is brushed with the glaze and finished on the grill over medium heat adding beautiful grill marks, deepening mesquite flavor, and caramelization of the glaze. Served warm, the squash melt in your mouth with the perfect balance of texture, sweetness, and spice. So use your grill to bring a little flare and pizzazz to your Thanksgiving table this season, and celebrate Thanksgiving on the Grill.
Orange-Glazed Grilled Acorn Squash Ingredients
- 4 acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 1 stick cinnamon
Orange-Glazed Grilled Acorn Squash Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the cut side of each acorn squash with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place squash, cut-side down, on a baking sheet and bake until almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, allspice, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, stirring often.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Place the squash, cut side up, on the grill, and brush with the orange glaze. Cook for 5 minutes, turn over with tongs, and grill for 5 more minutes, or until tender and glaze is caramelized. Remove from the grill and brush with more of the glaze. Serve warm.
Taken from: FoodNetwork.com
The post Orange-Glazed Grilled Acorn Squash – Thanksgiving on the Grill Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.