Moms have the hardest job in the world, and I’m sure they would also say it’s the most satisfying. This Sunday is their day, and thus it’s one of the busiest days at restaurants since many men don’t cook. Use that grill of yours and make her proud with Mother’s Day Chili-Spiced Skirt Steak Tacos. Relatively easy in preparation, but offering an explosion of flavor in every bite, these tacos are not your everyday carne asada.
Begin with skirt steak, which is often confused with flank steak because of its similar properties. Outside-cut skirt steak often comes with the membrane attached that needs to be removed before cooking, and inside-cut skirt steak is thinner and is usually what you will find at the local butcher shop. Being very thin, it only gets marinated for an hour in a combination of lime juice, brown sugar, ancho chile powder, and other spices. Grilled for a few minutes over high direct heat yields a tasty charred exterior with a beautifully medium-rare middle that melts in your mouth. Served in warm tortillas with a delightful cilantro cream, these tacos are heavenly. Let’s drop jaws this weekend by providing your mom, or wife, a home-cooked meal that rivals any she might order at her favorite restaurant without the 90-minute wait.
Mother’s Day Chili-Spiced Skirt Steak Tacos Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 to 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
For the Marinade
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Cilantro Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup packed roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion roughly chopped, green part only
Mother’s Day Chili-Spiced Skirt Steak Tacos Directions
- To make the cilantro cream: Place sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and green onion in the jar of a blender. Puree into smooth. Transfer to a small container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the marinade: In a small bowl, mix together paprika, ancho chile powder, gralic powder, onion powder, light brown sugar, chipotle chile powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Add lime juice and oil, stir to combine.
- Place skirt steak in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Seal bag and toss to thoroughly coat steak. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour while preparing the grill.
- Preheat grill. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill steak over high heat until deeply browned on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice into 3 to 4 inch portions with the grain, then slice against the grain into 1/4-inch strips.
- To serve, briefly warm tortillas on grill, then top with slices of steak, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and cilantro cream.
Taken from MeatWave.com