It’s midway through summer, and it seems like everyone is going here or there on vacations and excursions. For those of us that can’t getaway, we can still bring the tastes and flavors of faraway places to our backyards. The Sizzling Summer series continues with refreshing Korean Style Lettuce Wraps, featuring grilled flank steak and Coca-Cola pickled onions. Featuring authentic ingredients like gochujang (hot pepper paste), these lettuce wraps are crisp and delightful, filled with flavor and texture, and perfect for these sizzling summer days.
The flank steak is first marinated in a combination of gochujang, mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger for at least 6 hours. With its tougher texture, flank steak is the ideal cut for long marinades allowing the flavors to permeate throughout, while still maintaining its structure. After a long soak, the steak is seasoned with salt and pepper, and grilled over medium heat until desired doneness. The pickled onions begin with a reduction of soy sauce, sambal oelek (spicy Southeast Asian chile sauce), and Coca-Cola. Adding lime juice, vinegar, and onions, then allowed to sit uncovered for two hours begins the pickling process. After thinly slicing the flank steak, serve in leaves of butter lettuce, and top with the sweet and tangy pickled onions for an explosion of spices and texture. Experience great grilling, bring the savors of the world to your home, and enjoy culinary escapes with the Sizzling Summer series.
Korean Style Lettuce Wraps Ingredients
- 6 tbsp. gochujang (amazon.com)
- 3 tbsp. mirin
- 1 tbsp. plus 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (2-lb.) flank steak
- 2 tbsp. sambal oelek (amazon.com)
- 1 (12-oz.) can Coca-Cola
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated
Korean Style Lettuce Wraps Directions
- Pulse gochujang, mirin, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, the sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl with steak, cover, and refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Simmer remaining soy sauce, the sambal oelek, and Coca-Cola in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium until reduced by 2⁄3, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and lime juice; pour over onions in a sterilized 1-qt. glass jar with lid. Let sit uncovered 2 hours; cover and refrigerate until ready to use, or for up to 2 weeks.
- Heat a gas grill to medium. Remove steak from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper; grill, turning as needed, until slightly charred and cooked to desired doneness, 6–8 minutes for medium-rare or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the steak reads 125°. Let steak rest 10 minutes; thinly slice against the grain. To serve, wrap steak slices and pickled onions in lettuce leaves.
Taken from: Saveur.com
The post Korean Style Lettuce Wraps – Sizzling Summer Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.