Welcome to the Autumn Grilling Series, where we take all the seasonal flavors of this beautiful time of year and craft them into flavorsome feasts for the grill! Juicy Grilled Glazed Autumn Chicken with Apple Pumpkin Sauce is our latest masterful meal. This classic American dish stays true to its roots with hints of Indian cuisine descended from the harmonious blend of soy sauce, curry powder, ginger, and mango powder in the marinade. To top it off, the Apple Pumpkin Sauce puts the perfect finishing touch on the glazed chicken.
If you’re looking for a way to impress your loved ones—look no further. This recipe is surprisingly easy to make with a bit of pre-planning. Preparing the marinade and Apple Pumpkin Sauce the day before grilling makes this delicious meal come together in no time! All you have to do is fire up the grill, grab a warm beverage, and savor the flavor and joy of the season as you share this mouthwatering meal with friends and family.
Don't let the array of ingredients hold you back; this spectacular meal is worth the effort. So don't wait any longer and join us in the Autumn Grilling Series—your taste buds won't regret a single bite of Juicy Grilled Glazed Autumn Chicken with Apple Pumpkin Sauce. So grab a warm beverage your favorite grilling tools, and prepare for an aroma-filled Autumn evening!
Juicy Grilled Glazed Autumn Chicken with Apple Pumpkin Sauce Ingredients
- 12 ounces harvest pumpkin ale (Harvest Moon)
- 1/2 cup honey or 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon amchur (optional)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- 4 chicken legs-thighs or 4 boneless chicken breasts (breasts scored) or 2 -3 lbs chicken wings
Autumn Pumpkin Sauce
- 14 ounces pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple liqueur (Korn)
Juicy Grilled Glazed Autumn Chicken with Apple Pumpkin Sauce Directions
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Place the chicken in the refrigerator overnight, turning often to ensure all sides get coated and the marinade penetrates the meat.
- For the glaze, heat the other half of the marinade and reduce to one cup. If more heat is desired, add one tablespoon of sriracha sauce. The glaze can be prepped the day before grilling.
- Remove from marinade and let drip, removing excess marinade.
- For the pumpkin sauce: Whisk together pumpkin puree, apple juice, sugar, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and optional pepper flakes in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the mixture has reached the consistency of applesauce. It takes 30-60 minutes, depending on whether you use fresh or canned pumpkin. Add liquor off the fire, stir, cover, and set aside. It can be prepared the day before grilling and enjoyed chilled or warm.
- Heat grill and oil grates
- Grill chicken legs until well browned on all sides, turning once, 30 to 40 minutes. Glaze the chicken for the last 5 minutes with the reduced marinade. Test: the meat near the thigh bones should no longer be pink when tested with the tip of a knife. Boneless chicken breasts will cook faster. Grill wings over medium flame. You want a moderate temperature. You will also need to turn the wings frequently to avoid burning. It will mean standing by the grill, but you can cook a lot of chicken wings in about 15 to 20 minutes. Just before removing, brush the glaze over the wings.
- Serve with warmed Autumn Pumpkin Sauce for dipping.