When I was growing up, fall represented Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the build up for Christmas. Now that I am older, I am more carried away with the beauty and flavors of autumn, and finding new ways to explore them with my grill. With the Autumn Grill Series we hope to keep you grilling past summertime with fresh inspiration, and next up are Honey-Glazed Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Peach Skewers. Combining the traditional flavors of fall in a fun and fresh presentation, these skewers are delicious and simple, making them perfect for a quick evening meal or for entertaining.
Begin with preparing the sweet potato by cutting it into sixteen uniform pieces and steaming them until nearly cooked. Likewise, the chicken breasts, sweet onion, and peaches are also cut into uniform pieces and threaded onto the skewers. Accentuating the natural flavors of the sweet potato and peaches, the glaze is a tart and sweet reduction of sherry vinegar, honey, oil, salt, and pepper. The skewers are then grilled over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side, while thoroughly applying the glaze and allowing the honey to caramelize. For added crunch, coarsely chopped pecans are tossed with honey, oil, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper, and then grilled over foil until toasted. The pecans are sprinkled over the skewers just before serving for the perfect finishing touch of spice, aromatics, and texture. So grab a warm drink and enjoy the brisk air, while grilling amazing food with the Autumn Grill Series.
Honey-Glazed Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Peach Skewers Ingredients
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 3/4 lb.), peeled and cut into sixteen 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs. honey
- 2 Tbs. canola oil; more for the grill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 16 pieces
- 4 small ripe but firm peaches, quartered and pitted (about 1-1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 small sweet onion, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks, layers separated (about 4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Honey-Glazed Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Peach Skewers Directions
- Prepare a medium gas or charcoal grill fire. Soak eight 12-inch wooden skewers in water.
- In a 4-quart saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil over high heat. Steam the sweet potatoes until nearly cooked but still a bit firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Put the vinegar, 1/2 cup of the honey, 1 Tbs. of the oil, 2 tsp. salt, and 3/4 tsp. pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 2/3 cup, 13 to 15 minutes. (The glaze should brush on easily but be thick enough to coat the chicken. If it’s too thick, add a few drops of hot water.) Meanwhile, thread the onion, chicken, sweet potato, and peach onto the soaked skewers.
- Reserve half the glaze. Brush the skewers with the remaining half of the glaze. Thoroughly oil the grill grate. Arrange the skewers on one side of the grill grate and grill, covered, until well marked on one side, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the pecans in a small bowl with the remaining 1 Tbs. honey and 1 Tbs. oil, the cumin, pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper. Put a large piece of foil on the other side of the grill and scatter the nuts on the foil. Flip the skewers. Grill until the chicken is cooked through and the nuts are bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes more. (Keep a close eye on the nuts; stir if they threaten to burn.) Transfer the skewers to a serving platter, brush with the reserved glaze, and sprinkle with the pecans.
Taken from: FineCooking.com
The post Honey-Glazed Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Peach Skewers – Autumn Grill Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.