Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw – Super Bowl Grilling Series
The players are set for the biggest game of the year, and it’s time to get that game day menu set for the party of the year. The Super Bowl Grilling Series marches on with Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw, a perfect party food with the taste and texture to match the hype and excitement. Featuring traditional toppings of cabbage, jalapenos, and onion, mixed into a spicy slaw for wonderful crunch, color, and flavor, these tacos will be the highlight of the halftime feast.
Begin with fresh flank steak patted dry, rubbed with a spice mixture of ancho chile powder, sugar, salt, and pepper, and allowed to sit at room temperature while the spices permeate the tissues. Drizzle the jalapenos and red onion with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then grill with the steak over medium direct heat. The slaw is a simple combination of shredded cabbage, chopped grilled onions, finely chopped jalapenos, sugar, salt, olive oil, and lime juice. Assemble steak and slaw on warmed corn tortillas, and serve with sour cream and lime wedges. These tacos are so addicting, delightfully blending fresh cabbage, charred veggies, and succulent steak, your guests won’t be able to put them down once they start. So have yourself a fantastic football feast with the Super Bowl Grilling Series from Summerset.
Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw Ingredients
- 1-1/2 tsp. pure ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/4 lb. flank steak
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeños, stemmed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice; more as needed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Lime wedges for serving
Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw Directions
- Prepare a medium (375°F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the ancho powder with 1 tsp. of the sugar, 2 tsp. salt, and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Pat the steak dry, sprinkle the ancho mixture on both sides and let sit at room temperature while the grill heats.
- Set the onion rounds and jalapeños on a large plate and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. of the oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the lime juice, the remaining 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil and toss again.
- Put the steak, onions, and jalapeños on the grill. Grill the steak, flipping once until cooked to your liking, 5 to 6 minutes for medium rare (130°F to 135°F). Grill the vegetables, flipping once until grill marks appear and they’re just tender, 4 to 6 minutes for the jalapeños and about 8 minutes for the onion. (Move the onions to a cooler part of the grill or lower the heat if they start to burn.) Transfer the steak and vegetables to a cutting board; let the steak rest for 5 minutes.
- Chop the onions and finely chop the jalapeños, add to the cabbage mixture, and toss well. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Spread 4 tortillas on the grill and heat, flipping once, until warm and softened about 1 minute. Stack the warmed tortillas in a kitchen towel; repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Thinly slice the steak and put a few slices on each of the warm tortillas. Top with the slaw and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with the lime wedges.
Taken from FineCooking.com
The post Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw – Super Bowl Grilling Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.