The changing leaves signal the change of seasons, and the brisk evening air reminds us of coming winter. The Autumn Grill Series brings seasonal menu options that keep you where you want to be – outside with your grill. Next up is Grilled Scallops, Butternut Squash, and Basil Skewers, combining fresh shellfish with harvest vegetables and spices. The rich texture of the scallops is balanced by the sweet butternut squash and surrounded by the mesquite aroma of the grill.
Begin by boiling the cubed squash in water, sugar, and salt until it can be easily threaded onto a skewer. The scallops are tossed with melted butter, and then threaded onto skewers with the squash and basil leaves. Grill skewers over direct heat for just a few minutes per side until the scallops are cooked through. For the final touch, combine yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, chopped basil, black pepper, and salt to make a refreshing dipping sauce. These skewers feature robust flavor and minimal prep time making it ideal for enjoying a weeknight meal by the grill.
Grilled Scallops, Butternut Squash, and Basil Skewers Ingredients
- 6 6-inch wooden skewers
- ½ of a 3-pound butternut squash, peeled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grape seed or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 6 1-inch-thick sea scallops
- 12 medium-sized basil leaves
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Grilled Scallops, Butternut Squash, and Basil Skewers Directions
- Put skewers in water to soak.
- Cut the squash into 12 cubes. Put in a medium saucepan with ½ teaspoon salt and the sugar and add water just to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until a skewer goes through the middle easily, 4 to 7 minutes. Drain. Toss gently with the oil.
- Preheat the grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Toss the butter with the scallops. Onto a soaked skewer, thread a cube of squash, a basil leave, a scallop, and then another basil leave and another cube of squash. Repeat with remaining skewers. Grill until scallops are just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, chopped basil, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Serve the skewers with the dip.