As the temperatures drop and the evenings get brisker, grilling food with a kick can feel soothing and heartwarming. The Autumn Grilling Series continues with Grilled Red Curry Chicken and Bell Peppers, a terrific dish of spice and vibrant color that is perfect for dining outside around the fire pit. Featuring red curry, chile paste, and Fresno chiles, this chicken is full of flavor with the perfect balance of heat to keep you warm but not wrecked. Grilling outside in the fall is one of the best ways to enjoy the season with its stunning transformation of the landscape and rustling breeze.
Begin by making the marinade, which will also double as a finishing sauce for the peppers. Combine red curry paste, oil, lime juice, sambal oelek, and garlic in a mixing bowl and use half to marinate the chicken thigh for at least two hours before grilling. To expand the natural flavors of the peppers, chiles, and shallots, coat with cooking spray and grill over medium-high heat until beautifully charred and fragrant. Toss grilled veggies with some of the reserved mixture to coat and color. Grill the chicken thighs about five minutes per side and then serve with veggies and remaining sauce. Bright red and luscious, the chicken and peppers are savory, moist, and spicy. So get outside and enjoy the serenity of fall with the rustling branches and leaves as the season changes.
Grilled Red Curry Chicken and Bell Peppers Ingredients
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 lb.)
- 12 miniature red bell peppers (about 9 oz.)
- 8 red Fresno chiles
- 2 large shallots (about 3 oz.), peeled and halved
- Cooking spray
Grilled Red Curry Chicken and Bell Peppers Directions
- Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Place chicken and a half (about 1/3 cup) of the curry paste mixture in a large ziplock plastic bag. Reserve remaining mixture. Seal bag, removing any excess air, and massage mixture into chicken. Chill 2 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F).
- Coat bell peppers, Fresno chiles, and shallots with cooking spray, and place in a single layer on the grill grate. Grill bell peppers and Fresno chiles, uncovered, until charred, occasionally turning, 6 to 8 minutes. At the same time, grill shallots until charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Place bell peppers, Fresno chiles, shallots, 2 tablespoons reserved curry paste mixture in a large bowl, and toss to coat.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade in bag. Place chicken on the grill grate and grill, uncovered, until done, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Arrange vegetables and chicken on a platter; top with remaining curry paste mixture.
Taken from cookinglight.com