Autumn is a beautiful time of year, but also an exciting time of year in sports with all four major sports beginning or ending at the same time. Whether it’s football, baseball, basketball, or hockey, there’s not a shortage of opportunities for grilling and celebrating. Next in the Autumn Grill Series is Grilled Pizza with Steak, Pear, and Arugula, and ideal finger food for the evening of the big game. Featuring grilled flank steak, sweet pears, and peppery arugula, this gourmet pizza finishes with rich mesquite flavor and aromatics.
Begin by seasoning the flank steak with salt and pepper, grilling for several minutes per side, and then slicing into small strips. Prepare the pizza by brushing a prebaked pizza crust with a mixture of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar for sweetness and bite. Then layer sliced pears, steak, arugula, and Gorgonzola cheese, and finish cooking. Mid way through cooking, rotate the pizza a quarter turn to create beautiful grill marks on crust, and for uniform cooking. The salty steak combines beautifully with the sweetness of the pears and the creaminess of the Gorgonzola for a flavor explosion with every bite. So enjoy the weather and the game with the Autumn Grill Series.
Serves: 1 Pizza
Grilled Pizza with Steak, Pear, and Arugula Ingredients
- Vegetable cooking spray
- ½-pound flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 prebaked pizza crust
- 1 red Bartlett pear, peeled and sliced
- 1½ cups fresh arugula, divided
- ¼ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Freshly cracked pepper
Grilled Pizza with Steak, Pear, and Arugula Directions
- Coat cold cooking grate of grill with cooking spray, and place on grill. Preheat grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Season flank steak with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak, covered with grill lid, 8 to 10 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin strips. Cut strips into bite-size pieces.
- Place pizza crust directly on hot cooking grate. Brush top of crust with oil mixture; layer with pear slices, 1 cup arugula, cheese, and beef strips.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, 4 minutes. Rotate pizza one-quarter turn; grill, covered with grill lid, 5 to 6 more minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove pizza from grill, and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup arugula and freshly cracked pepper.