Labor Day is the next holiday around the corner, and it is a pivotal turning point for every man, woman, and child. It marks the end of summer, the beginning of school, the beginning of three months of holiday shopping (ugh!), and most importantly – the beginning of football in America! To help get the menu set for this epic kickoff, and for some this day of sadness, we at Summerset Grills bring you Grilled Jerk Pork Skewers. Perfect for a backyard swim party, these skewers are a fun and spicy finger food extravaganza featuring beautifully charred cubes of pork marinated in jerk spices.
Jerk recipes can range from just a few ingredients to everything in the pantry, so there is plenty of room to experiment. For this dish, the perfectly salty and fiery jerk paste features habanero chile, cilantro, scallions, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and allspice. The pork loin is sliced into 1-inch cubes and then marinated in the jerk paste for 2 to 3 hours. Grilled over high heat for about 8 minutes, the pork comes off the grill crusted, caramelized, and succulent. To balance out the heat of the jerk paste, the finished skewers are served with a cool and refreshing honey-lime sauce. So, whether you are a child in mourning over the wasted summer days, or a raving maniac prepping your man cave for the start of the season, fire up the grill and enjoy this final three-day weekend of summertime.
Grilled Jerk Pork Skewers Ingredients
- 3 pounds pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use
For the paste:
- 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, seeded
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, lightly chopped
- 6 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Grilled Jerk Pork Skewers Directions
- Place all of the ingredients for the paste in the jar of a blender and blend until smooth. Place pork chunks in large Ziploc bag and pour in the paste, seal and toss to evenly distribute; open and reseal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Preheat grill. Thread the pork chunks onto the skewers.
- Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place the skewers on the grill and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning three or four times during grilling. Serve immediately with the honey-lime sauce.
Taken from: SeriousEats.com