Grilled Carrots with Avocado and Mint - Autumn Grilling Series
It's the perfect time of year for a hot spiced latte, evening strolls to look at the leaves, and glorious seasonal recipes on the grill. The Autumn Grill Series from Summerset Grills continues with Grilled Carrots with Avocado and Mint, a gorgeous presentation of charred veggies and herbs. These carrots are a great veggie dish that can be served as an appetizer or side, full of flavor from a sauce featuring cumin, lemon, and honey.
Begin by preparing the sauce using a skillet over medium heat to toast cumin seeds. Combine the ground toasted cumin seeds with lemon juice, honey, chopped serrano chile, and ginger. Leaving the skin on the carrots will allow them to blacken and char better, besides being more nutritious. Grill the carrots until they are roasted to perfection and toss in the sauce. Serve the carrots with avocado and drizzle with remaining sauce and fresh mint. Mint adds a refreshing burst of flavor to this sweet, spicy, and tart presentation of mesquite carrots. As the temperatures continue to drop, bring on the grill fire for unique seasonal delights of hot roasted food with the Autumn Grilling Series!
Grilled Carrots with Avocado and Mint Ingredients
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 1”-piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- Kosher salt
- 1½ lb. medium carrots, scrubbed, halved lengthwise, tops trimmed to about 1"
- 2 avocados, cut into large pieces
- ½ cup mint leaves
Grilled Carrots with Avocado and Mint Directions
- Prepare a grill for medium heat. Toast cumin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, often tossing, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Coarsely crush cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle or with the flat side of a chef's knife. Transfer to a large bowl. Add lemon juice and honey. Whisk in ¼ cup oil until combined, stir in chile and ginger, and season with salt. Let sit until ready to serve, which will give the chile and ginger time to infuse into the sauce.
- Toss carrots with the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Grill carrots, occasionally turning until lightly charred in spots and tender, 14–18 minutes. Immediately transfer carrots to bowl with sauce. Toss to coat; season with salt.
- Arrange avocado and carrots on a platter. Spoon any remaining sauce over, then top with mint. Serve carrots warm or at room temperature.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-carrots-with-avocado-and-mint