Long summer days and nights provide ample opportunities for trying new recipes and techniques. The Sizzling Summer Series not only brings delightful recipes for you to try, but also varying techniques from around the world. Here is Chicken Grilled Under A Brick – a rustic technique for getting beautifully crisp skin with amazing color and taste. Pairing with a vibrant chimicurri sauce adds notes of citrus and herbs.
The chickens are flattened in a baking dish and rubbed with a marinade of lemon juice, salt, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic, red pepper, and olive oil. When ready to grill, wrap two to four bricks with foil, place flattened chicken on grill with one to two bricks on each chicken, depending on the size. Grilling under a brick will cause the skin to crisp without overly burning. The chimchurri features olive oil, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, red wine vinegar, oregano, smoked paprika, and salt, making a perfect companion to beautiful texture of the grilled chicken. So get your grill on with the Sizzling Summer Series, and show your mad skills using a brick to grill the best chicken for your friends nd family.
Chicken Grilled Under A Brick Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 3-pound chickens, backbones cut out
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Chicken Grilled Under A Brick Directions
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients except the chickens.
- Set the chickens breast sides up on a rimmed baking sheet. Flatten the birds, fold the wing tips under and arrange the thighs next to the breasts. Make 2 slashes in the breasts and 1 slash in the legs and thighs. Rub with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
- To make the chimichurri, blend all of the ingredients until smooth and mixed.
- Light a grill. Cover 2 bricks with foil. Grill the chickens breast sides down, pressed with the bricks, over moderate heat until browned, 15 minutes. Flip and grill over low heat until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced, about 25 minutes longer. Transfer the chickens to a carving board to rest for 10 minutes. Carve and serve, passing the chimichurri at the table.
Taken from FoodAndWine.com
The post Chicken Grilled Under A Brick – Sizzling Summer Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.