Ever get a craving for something? I don’t know if it’s the brisk air of spring, the new season of Deadliest Catch, the 17 inches of snow that just dumped here, but I have been on a seafood kick of late. Nothing is quite like charred seafood off the grill, and here is Cajun-Spiced Smoked Shrimp with Rémoulade. The heat of the Cajun spices is offset by the cool tones of the Rémoulade, a French condiment similar to tartar sauce.
Combine fresh large shrimp with a Cajun rub comprised of sweet paprika, salt, white pepper, sage, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, and red pepper for a robust flavor and beautiful color. Hickory wood chips are soaked for an hour before placing on grill to produce deep smoky undertones. The Rémoulade is a combination of mayonnaise, green onion, celery, ketchup, parsley, capers, lemon juice, Creole-style mustard, horseradish, garlic, eggs, and Worcestershire sauce; and boasts of equal zest as the Cajun rub. Together, the refreshing snap of the succulent shrimp is a wonderful transferor of the cool and spicy flavors. So fire up the grill, set your DVR to record Deadliest Catch, and fulfill your craving! (Well, at least mine…)
Cajun-Spiced Smoked Shrimp Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups hickory wood chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Creole-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs
- Cooking spray
Cajun-Spiced Smoked Shrimp Directions
- Soak wood chips in water 1 hour; drain.
- To prepare shrimp, combine paprika and the next 9 ingredients (through red pepper). Combine olive oil and shrimp in a bowl, and toss to coat. Sprinkle shrimp with rub, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To prepare rémoulade, combine mayonnaise and the next 10 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium bowl. Remove yolks from eggs; discard yolks or reserve for another use. Finely chop egg whites, and stir into mayonnaise mixture. Cover; chill.
- Remove grill rack, and set aside. Prepare the grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to high and leaving one side with no heat. Pierce the bottom of a disposable aluminum foil pan several times with the tip of a knife. Place pan on heat element on heated side of grill; add wood chips to pan. Let wood chips stand for 15 minutes or until smoking; reduce heat to medium. Place shrimp in a grilling skillet; place skillet on grill rack over unheated side. Cover and grill 15 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring after 7 minutes. (Alternately, skewers could be used to cook shrimp directly on well-oiled grill rack.)
- Serve with rémoulade.
Taken from MyRecipes.com