Barbecued Oysters – Valentine’s Day Grilling Series
Love is in the air, Cupid’s arrows have run true, and Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, bringing with it the expectation and obligation to up the ante each year for your sweetheart. This year, bring the date home and create a meaningful, delicious dinner on the grill. To assist you with this daunting undertaking of love, here is the Valentine’s Day Grilling Series, beginning with Barbecued Oysters. These oysters are passionately grilled with tequila, barbecue sauce, and pepper Jack cheese for bold flavors and delicate texture.
As with all seafood and shellfish, freshness is paramount, so find the best supplier you can to get the oysters. When shucking the oysters, be very careful to not spill the juices inside, as they will further deepen the flavors. Simply spoon barbecue sauce, a splash of hot sauce, and tequila over each oyster, and then sprinkle with cheese. Grill the oysters until the juices are bubbling and the cheese is melted, then serve with cilantro and lime wedges. With a sharp contrast of flavors, these oysters feel both light and rich, as the cilantro and lime balance the warmth of the tequila and hot sauce. Nothing communicates affection and regard for someone as taking the time and effort to give them a special night. Make this Valentine’s Day one to remember with the Valentine’s Day Grilling Series.
Barbecued Oysters Ingredients
- 12 large oysters in the shell
- ½ cup your favorite barbecue sauce
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Your favorite mezcal or tequila
- ¾ cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs
- Lime wedges, for serving
Barbecued Oysters Directions
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to hot.
- Shuck the oysters, discarding the top shell. Take pains not to spill the juices. Arrange the oysters on a shellfish rack (or rimmed baking sheet if you don’t have one). Spoon 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce over each oyster and add a splash of hot sauce and mezcal. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place the shellfish rack on the grill grate. (Alternatively, carefully balance the oyster shells between the bars of the grill grate.) Grill the oysters until the juices bubble and the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the oysters to a platter or plates. Top with sprigs of cilantro and serve lime wedges for squeezing.
Taken from BarbecueBible.com
The post Barbecued Oysters – Valentine’s Day Grilling Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.