Enjoying the Fourth of July is like enjoying your favorite ice cream – it just comes naturally. However, preparing a holiday meal for the grand finale is not as easy as lighting the firework to end all fireworks. The Sizzling Summer Series is here for the rescue with Barbecued Country Ribs with Lemon. These country-style ribs will melt in your mouth, and the addition of the lemon adds a unique freshness not found in other recipes.
The preparation of the sauce is all about building and layering flavors, and begins by toasting cumin seeds, yellow mustard seeds, and celery seeds in a skillet until fragrant and then finely grinding them once cooled. Then sauté onions in butter and add tomatoes and their reserved juice, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, cayenne, the toasted ground spices, and water. The ribs are cooked with indirect medium-high heat until close to being done. Then they are basted with the sauce, topped with fresh lemon slices, and grilled for another 30 minutes allowing for beautiful caramelization. These ribs come off the grill with fragrance, vibrant color, and tender texture, setting the stage for a liberty inspired firework celebration.
Barbecued Country Ribs with Lemon Ingredients
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. celery seeds
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 10 oz. onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 c. ketchup
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 c. water
- 4 lb. country-style pork ribs
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1½ lemons
Barbecued Country Ribs with Lemon Directions
Make the sauce
- Toast the cumin, yellow mustard, and celery seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant.
- Cool and finely grind in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook until soft and brown — about 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their reserved juice, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, cayenne, and the toasted ground spices to the onions.
- Add the 3 cups water, bring to a simmer, and set aside.
Cook the ribs
- Season ribs with remaining salt and pepper to taste.
- Light one side of grill, heating to medium-high heat (350° to 400°); leave other side unlit. Place rib over unlit side.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, 40 minutes. Reposition ribs, and grill 40 minutes. Reposition one more time, and grill 40 minutes.
- Lower grill temperature to medium heat (300° to 350°). Cook ribs 30 minutes more, basting with half of the sauce, and topping with lemon slices.
- Remove ribs from grill, and let stand 10 minutes. Cut ribs, slicing between bones. Serve ribs with remaining sauce.
Taken from CountryLiving.com
The post Barbecued Country Ribs with Lemon – Sizzling Summer Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.