Barbecued Chicken – Super Bowl Grilling Series
What’s not to love about the Super Bowl – the lights, the drama, the Halftime Show, the commercials, the game, and the food most of all. We are just one week away from the biggest sporting event of the year, and the Super Bowl Grilling Series is here to provide creative inspiration to take that game day spread to the next level using your grill. Rounding out this year’s dishes is Barbecued Chicken, an addicting and succulent take on a classic tailgate favorite. Featuring a deep-flavored barbecue sauce, fantastic rub, and grilling perfection, this chicken will bring a smile to your face no matter how your team is faring.
Begin with the sauce by combining tomato paste, spices, vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and water, and simmering until it reduces by half. Divide the chicken into 10 pieces, cutting the breast in half for more uniform cooking and portions, and apply the rub all over. Grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes and then begin basting with sauce continuously until done. Bringing a balance of sweet and acid from the sugars, molasses, tomato paste, and orange juice, the sauce beautifully caramelizes onto the chicken for amazing flavor. Also, to minimize prep time on Sunday, the sauce and rub can be prepared days ahead. There’s nothing like great food, a gigantic TV, and the big game with the Super Bowl Grilling Series from Summerset.
Barbecued Chicken Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 3½–4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces (breasts halved)
- 2 tablespoons 4-3-2-1 Spice Rub
4-3-2-1 Spice Rub
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Barbecued Chicken Directions
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until paste turns brick-red, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and 3 cups water. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits until reduced by half, 50–60 minutes; season with salt. (Do Ahead: Barbecue sauce can be chilled 1 week ahead.)
- Prepare grill for medium heat.
- Season chicken with 4-3-2-1 Spice Rub.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, 15–20 minutes.
- Continue grilling, turning and basting with barbecue sauce often, until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 8–10 minutes longer.
4-3-2-1 Spice Rub
- Combine salt, brown sugar, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl or resealable container. (Do Ahead: Rub can be made 2 months ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
Taken from BonAppetit.com
The post Barbecued Chicken – Super Bowl Grilling Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.