Barbecue Carrots with Yogurt and Pecans – Autumn Grilling Series
Autumn themes surround deep shades of orange and red, roasted roots and squash, toasted nuts of all kinds, sweaters, fire pits, and spiced latte’s. Whether in the ’30s like here or in the ’80s in Southern California, the fall season is my favorite and Autumn Grill Series is here to keep you enjoying your grill regardless of temperature. Next up is Barbecue Carrots with Yogurt and Pecans, which resembles a culinary autumn collage on a plate and features rich colors, spices, and aromatics. Great as a side or light main dish, these caramelized carrots, and toasted pecans offer a wonderful contrast of textures with the smooth and tangy yogurt.
Begin with a spice mixture for the carrots of brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, celery salt, garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Boil the carrots for a few minutes in saltwater and then rub with olive oil and the spice mixture. While the carrots sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, toast the pecans in the oven until fragrant and prepare the yogurt by combining Greek yogurt, buttermilk, dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Finish carrots on the grill over medium-high heat for a few minutes until the sugars begin to bubble with goodness. Serve the carrots drizzled with yogurt, lemon juice, and toasted pecans for a warm, crunchy, and gorgeous autumn display that is brilliant to the eyes and the belly.
Barbecue Carrots with Yogurt and Pecans Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 pound small carrots, scrubbed, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus more for serving
Barbecue Carrots with Yogurt and Pecans Directions
- Combine brown sugar, paprika, cumin, celery salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, cayenne, 1 Tbsp. salt, and 1 tsp. black pepper in a small bowl.
- Cook carrots in a large pot of boiling, generously salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain; transfer carrots to a medium bowl. Add oil and spice mixture and rub carrots to coat. Let sit at room temperature 1–3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until fragrant and slightly darkened, 10–15 minutes; let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt, buttermilk, dill, and 2 tsp. lemon juice in a small bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. (Or, you can use a grill pan over medium-high.) Grill carrots cut side down until they are lightly charred and sugar begins to caramelize and bubble about 3 minutes.
- Arrange carrots on a platter, drizzle with dressing and more lemon juice, and top with pecans.
Taken from bonappetit.com