This is where the dream hits the real world: how much will it cost? As the Summerset Outdoor Kitchen Series has shown, there are unlimited possibilities and options for designing an outdoor kitchen, which can also be enormously expensive. Developing and understanding your budget and other costs are paramount to keeping your dream from becoming a nightmare.
Start with a Budget
Most important in developing a budget is the starting point: resources – how much can be spent?
- Consider how much to spend and how it is being paid for ahead of time.
- Price out all the elements of the space, including small details like hardware and light fixtures, which can add up quickly.
- Have this list when talking to potential contractors, as it will give a contractor a sense of what is desired, enabling as thorough an estimate as possible.
Other Questions and Considerations
Beyond the initial numbers, other considerations can significantly impact costs and derail the project. Here are some essential questions to ask yourself before starting the outdoor kitchen planning process:
1. What are needs, and what are wants?
It's crucial to determine needs above wants by thinking through the frequency of use, variety of cooking, and entertaining that is desired and realistic.
2. What will maximize investment value in the home?
By reviewing other homes in the neighborhood and what kind of outdoor features they have, you can develop a range of acceptable and overkill.
3. Where to save?
Virtually every budget is limited to some extent, requiring compromises.
Must Have's for Your Outdoor Kitchen
A reasonable budget can be formulated that won't break the bank or leave the homeowner unsatisfied with the result by going through this process of questions.
Also, keep the following two priorities in mind while developing a budget:
- The grill is the absolute best place to splurge because, without a grill, there isn't an outdoor kitchen. It would be best to consider a high-end, durable grill a necessity, not a luxury, so plan for the best grill you can afford.
- Even before a refrigerator, experts and designers consider a sink the next most important appliance in an outdoor kitchen. Access to running water is invaluable in keeping your kitchen clean and sanitary and maintaining an efficient workflow.
Don't Let Your Project Get Out of Control
If you sense your outdoor kitchen is starting to snowball out of control, contact our team for help. This is where our design expertise can be precious in reigning in the project and keeping it affordable.
Summerset Grills has a wide range of outdoor kitchen appliances, cabinets, and accessories to fit any budget. Our team of experts can guide homeowners through every step of the planning process to ensure the result is exactly what they envisioned.