It’s football season in America and this Thursday is the beginning of weekly bone-crushing mayhem, frenzied fandom, raucous rejoicing, and bitter disappointment. The Game Day Grilling series continues bringing "stop you in your steps at first bite to go back and get more terrific grilled food" for each game. Next is Terrific Teriyaki Burgers, featuring a unique homemade teriyaki mixture that is mixed into the patties and brushed on as a glaze during cooking.
Begin preparation by mixing ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil in a bowl to make the teriyaki mixture. Combining classic Asian ingredients like ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil with ketchup and pineapple creates a distinctive sweet and salty sauce. Mix some of the sauce with ground beef, ground turkey, egg white, breadcrumbs, onions, and crushed pineapple to form the burger patties. Grill the burgers over medium heat until done while brushing periodically with the sauce to allow the sugars to caramelize around the patty. Grill the pineapple slices until warm throughout and charred with beautiful grill marks. Serve burgers with crisp lettuce and refreshing tomatoes for texture and brightness. Fitting for any weekend barbecue, these burgers won’t disappoint even if your fantasy football score does.
Terrific Teriyaki Burgers Ingredients
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 6 slices unsweetened pineapple
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
Terrific Teriyaki Burgers Directions
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple, ginger, garlic and sesame oil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg white, breadcrumbs, onions, crushed pineapple, and 3 tablespoons reserved teriyaki mixture. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six burgers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, brushing occasionally with remaining teriyaki mixture.
- Grill pineapple slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until heated through. Serve burgers and pineapple on buns with lettuce and tomato.
Taken from tasteofhome.com