Winter doesn't have to mean the end of outdoor grilling. In fact, with the Warm Winter Grilling Series and this Sweet Onion-Marinated Skirt Steak recipe, it can be even better! The steak is marinated in a sweet and savory combination of sweet onions, brown sugar, white vinegar, and olive oil. The acidity of the white vinegar balances out the onion's bite while emphasizing its sweetness, resulting in the perfect marinade. Grill it over direct heat until it's cooked to your desired doneness, and enjoy!
Simple and succulent, this recipe is ideal for wintertime because it can be prepped and cooked in just 30 minutes. Generously season the steak with salt and pepper and then marinate for at least 20 minutes. Grill over medium-high heat to get that gorgeous char, browning, and caramelization from the brown sugar. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes before slicing, so all the tender juices aren't left on the cutting board. Serve with fresh chives and sea salt for a heart and body-warming meal perfect for the colder weather.
This is the Warm Winter Grilling Series!
Sweet Onion–Marinated Skirt Steak Ingredients
- 1 small sweet onion, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 1¼ pounds skirt steak, cut into ½-inch pieces
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Flaky sea salt
Sweet Onion–Marinated Skirt Steak Directions
- Combine onion, brown sugar, vinegar, and oil in a large resealable plastic bag. Season steak generously with kosher salt and pepper and add to bag. Seal bag and turn steak to coat. Let marinate for at least 20 minutes, or chill for up to 2 hours.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil grate. Remove steak from marinade, pat dry, and grill, turning once until browned and medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice and top with chives and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sweet-onion-marinated-skirt-steak