Everyone loves wings! Whether it's for a football game, summer BBQ, or just to have something fun for dinner, the Sizzling Summer Series is here. These Spicy Apricot Wings are no exception; packed with flavor and spice, they'll be sure to get your mouth watering in anticipation. The wings are coated with apricot preserves and spices before being grilled and smoked until crispy and darkened. They’re perfect for any occasion!
This recipe can be done long or short, depending on how long you marinate the wings. The preferred method is to let them marinate for at least four hours before grilling, but the sauce is robust enough for a quick five-minute covering when in a hurry. Combine apricot preserves, Worcestershire sauce, light brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne, and ginger in a small bowl separate half in reserve for a sauce for serving. Place the wings in a dish, bowl, or bag and pour the marinade over to coat, and place in the refrigerator to marinate.
When ready to grill, pull the wings out of the fridge, discard the marinade, and let stand for 15 minutes. Prep the grill for medium-high heat and wrapping the wood chips in foil. Skewer the foil packet and leave it on the grill to begin smoking the wood. Grill the wings over medium-high to high heat, allowing them to get crispy with charred spotting. Bold and sweet, these wings come off the grill, exploding with savory happiness that will make you smile every time. Dip them in the reserved sauce for a sensory overload that will keep you and your guests coming back for more, so better plan on a triple batch.
Spicy Apricot Wings Ingredients
- 1/2 cup hickory, apple, or apricot wood chips
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed, and wings cut into 2 pieces
Spicy Apricot Wings Directions
- In a large bowl, combine the apricot preserves with the Worcestershire sauce, light brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne, and ginger. Scrape half of the mixture into a small bowl. Add the chicken wings to the large bowl and toss to coat well in the sauce. Let them marinate for at least four hours. When ready to grill, remove from marinade and let the chicken wings stand for 15 minutes.
- Light a gas grill. Wrap the wood chips in heavy-duty foil and pierce the foil packet with a skewer. Add the foil packet to the grill. Cover and let the wood chips begin to smoke, 5 minutes.
- Grill the chicken wings, covered, over moderately high heat, turning them occasionally, until they are charred in spots and cooked through for about 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter and serve the reserved sauce on the side.
Taken from foodandwine.com https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-apricot-wings