Valentine’s Day is the ultimate date night and a beautiful time to show your special someone what they mean to you. Standing in line with everyone else at the local steakhouse may not communicate that, but preparing a romantic dinner for two at home with a better-than-steakhouse dish will. The Valentine’s Day Grilling Series continues with Spice Rubbed Steaks with Herb Butter, a succulent and tender steak that is better than most restaurants. Featuring a generous spice rub, stunningly caramelized crust, and savory herb butter, this dinner will communicate your devotion with all the senses.
When making great steak, always begin with the highest quality you can afford like Prime or Choice grade top sirloin or better. Pat steak dry, drizzle with olive oil, and thoroughly apply a rub of kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, coriander, cumin, oregano, pepper, and ancho chili powder. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours for deeper penetration of flavor and an "aged-like" taste, and then allow the steaks to rise to room temperature before grilling. Grill over medium-high heat, flipping only once to create a gorgeous sear and crust. Remove from grill, top with herb butter, tent with foil, and allow to rest before serving. With zesty lemon, spicy Dijon mustard, and fresh herbs, the herb butter adds mouthwatering richness and creaminess to this beautiful steak. With love, tenderness, and your grill, create a night of affection and warmth with this steak and the Valentine's Day Grilling Series.
Spice-Rubbed Steaks with Herb Butter Ingredients
- 4-6 top sirloin steaks (3lbs) 1 1/2“ thick, room temperature
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, NOT table salt
- 2 tsp. each of garlic powder, paprika, and brown sugar
- 1 tsp. each of onion powder, coriander, cumin, and oregano
- 1/2 tsp. each pepper and ancho chili powder
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons) room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley (may also use a combo of fresh thyme oregano, chives)
Spice-Rubbed Steaks with Herb Butter Directions
- Place steaks on a baking sheet or in a 9x13 pan and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle steaks with olive oil and rub olive oil over all sides of the steaks.
- Whisk together all of the Spice Rub ingredients in a medium bowl. Rub all sides of each steak generously with the rub (use all the rub). Let sit 60 minutes at room temperature before cooking or BEST to cover steaks with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24-48 hours. This will help the steak taste aged.
- Meanwhile, make Herb Butter by mashing all of the Herb Butter ingredients together in a medium bowl until blended. Add to a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap and form into a log as you roll up the paper/wrap. Twist the end of the paper/wrap and place in the refrigerator until firm (about 1 hour) or ready to use.
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator 60 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- Clean, grease and heat grill to medium-high heat. Add steaks and grill to desired doneness, using tongs to turn the steaks once (never a fork). You want the temperature to register 5°F lower than the desired doneness (steaks will continue to cook after removing from the grill):
- -Medium rare: approximately 4-5 minutes per side, internal temp of 135/140°F. -Medium: approximately 5-7 minutes per side, internal temp of 140-145°F. -Medium Well: approximately 8-10 minutes per side, internal temp of 150/160°.
- Transfer steaks to a cutting board or platter. Add a generous slice of Herb butter to each steak and loosely tent with foil. Let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve with additional butter if desired.
Taken from carlsbadcravings.com