Summer is over, vacation is over, but we are not lost without hope. A glow appears in the distance; the glow of stadium lights and tailgating grills. It’s football season again and the Game Day Grilling Series is here to get you ready for the gridiron mayhem. Perfect for a festive tailgate with your team’s fan base, Southern BBQ Pork Burgers bring the taste of the south to a fistful feast. Made with ground pork and topped with refreshing buttermilk coleslaw, these burgers will get you ready for the big game.
The coleslaw dressing is a mix of mayonnaise, buttermilk, salt, and pepper with cider vinegar for a nice bite and sugar for that perfect southern sweetness. The burger patties are a combination of ground pork, your favorite barbecue sauce, and diced onion formed into 1-inch thick patties. Grilled over medium heat, the sugars in the barbecue sauce will caramelize and the exposed onions will sauté to a beautiful crisp. Serve on toasted buns with a large scoop of coleslaw for the taste of a classic BBQ pork plate in a burger. There’s nothing like hot grilled food combined with the excitement of American football; this is the Game Day Grilling Series.
Makes 6 burgers
Southern BBQ Pork Burgers Ingredients
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. buttermilk, milk or sour cream
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 cup bagged coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 lb. ground pork
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
Southern BBQ Pork Burgers Directions
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Add the coleslaw and chives and toss to combine. Refrigerate, tossing occasionally for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently combine the pork, onion, barbecue sauce, and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into six 1-in.-thick patties.
- Heat outdoor grill to medium. Grill the burgers until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve with on the buns with the slaw.