The stage is set: in two weeks the two best teams will go to war in the biggest game every year. This is an annual spectacle worthy of decorations, football-shaped serving platters, face paint, and excellent grilled food. The Super Bowl Grilling Series brings your game day spread out of the dark ages with arrays of slow-cooking cauldrons, to custom grilled dishes of brilliance. Next up is Smoked Meatball Sandwiches – a football favorite, but with a more sophisticated flavor profile and presentation. Making homemade meatballs, slowing smoking them to perfection, and covering with marina sauce and mozzarella takes these sandwiches to another level.
The meatballs are a combination of ground beef, spicy ground pork, and bacon bringing salty goodness and spicy excitement. The meat mixture is mixed with eggs, garlic, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, olive oil, parsley, salt, and pepper, and then rolled into 2-inch balls. Place the meatballs on the grill away from the burner, keep temperature low at 250 degrees, and cook until internal temperature reads 165 degrees. To assemble, place 3-4 meatballs in your favorite sub roll, cover with marinara sauce and mozzarella, and then place whole sandwich back on the grill on top shelf to melt the cheese and toast the roll. Beautiful and smoky, these Meatball Sandwiches will be the “Hail Mary” of your Super Bowl Party.
Servings: 6-8 Sandwiches
Smoked Meatball Sandwiches Ingredients
For the meatballs
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 lean)
- 1 lb ground pork (hot Italian sausage)
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1½ cups dense bread, shredded into crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
For the sandwich (each)
- 1 Bahn Mi roll, or your favorite sub roll
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- 3-4 smoked meatballs
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Smoked Meatball Sandwiches Directions
For the meatballs
- Set up your grill for indirect grilling and preheat to 250 degrees. (For Smoker: preheat smoker to 250 degrees).
- Place a handful of soaked would chips in a foil basket over the burners or directly on the burners.
- In a food processor add the bacon and pulse a few times, until the bacon turns into a paste.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Roll into two-inch balls.
- Place on smoker until internal temperature reads 165 degrees on a thermometer.
For the sandwich
- Use top shelf of grill (or turn oven broiler on to high heat).
- Bring your marinara sauce in a medium saucepan to a simmer. Gently add the meatballs to the sauce. Load up your bun with the sauce and four meatballs. Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Place on top shelf of grill for 2-4 minutes, until the cheese melts and bread starts to get toasty. Remove, dive in and enjoy!
Taken from Vindulge.com
The post Smoked Meatball Sandwiches – Super Bowl Grilling Series appeared first on Summerset Grills.