That moment is finally here. The one you have thinking for months. The moment you have been wanting, yearning for, and a little afraid it wouldn't happen. Football is back, baby! Kickoff the season with a table load of delicious masterpieces straight from your grill with the Game Day Grilling Series. Can't settle on a protein for the big day? Grill them all with the Mixed Grill with Roasted-Garlic-and-Pepper Salsa, featuring a multiuse spicy-citrus marinade and a salsa that pairs well with shrimp, chicken, and sausages. With just a few techniques, you will pull off this mixed grill platter with a bold prowess that will be the envy of your guests.
Begin by mixing oregano, crushed red pepper, olive oil, and lime juice to coat and marinate the shrimp and the chicken separately. For the roasted garlic, place the halved garlic heads on heavy-duty foil, drizzle with olive oil and wrap to make a roasting pouch. Grill the chicken and garlic over medium heat until finished and remove to rest. Take the roasted garlic heads, and squeeze into a medium bowl to make the salsa. Add peppers, cilantro, and lime juice to the bowl, and mix thoroughly. Finish the shrimp, pickles, and sausages on the grill and plate with the chicken. The spicy-citrus marinade will combine well with the addictive roasted garlic and pepper salsa. With beautiful color and aroma, this mixed platter is sure to become a game day favorite for your football frenzied feast.
Mixed Grill with Roasted-Garlic-and-Pepper Salsa Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 pounds bone-in chicken parts
- 3 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
- 6 ounces mixed small sweet and hot peppers, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 8 half-sour pickles (1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 3 pounds assorted sausages
- Lime wedges, for serving
Mixed Grill with Roasted-Garlic-and-Pepper Salsa Directions
- Light a grill. In a very large bowl, whisk the oregano and crushed red pepper with the 1/2 cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with a few tablespoons of the mixture—season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the large bowl and toss to coat.
- On a sheet of heavy-duty foil, drizzle the garlic with oil; wrap tightly. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Grill the chicken and garlic packet over moderate heat, turning until the chicken is cooked through and the garlic is tender - about 40 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter; keep warm.
- Unwrap the garlic and let cool slightly, then squeeze the cloves into a medium bowl. Stir in the peppers, cilantro, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of lime juice.
- Brush the grill grates with oil. Arrange the shrimp, pickles, and sausages on the grill. Grill until the pickles are lightly charred, and the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to the platter. Grill the sausages for 10 minutes, turning, until well-browned all over and cooked through. Add them to the platter. Serve with the salsa and lime wedges.
Taken from foodandwine.com