Mezcal-Marinated Fajitas – Terrific Grilled Taco Series
I like just about anything that comes in a tortilla, but that doesn’t mean it can be called a taco or that all tacos are created equal. The layering of flavors through marinating, grilling, and toppings make the taco a rich canvas for creativity and experimentation. The Terrific Grilled Taco Series continues with Mezcal-Marinated Fajitas, featuring a smoky and salty marinated skirt steak with grilled onions and peppers. A Tex-Mex favorite originating in Northern Mexico, fajitas are traditionally served in larger flour tortillas than traditional tacos.
Just about any taco begins with the marinade, and this skirt steak is marinated in a combination of chipotle chiles, grated garlic, lime juice, mezcal, fish sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, oregano, cumin, and salt. The unique smoky flavor of the mescal balances the robust punch of the fish sauce for a matchless blend of earthy and salty mixed with traditional citrus. Grill the steak over high heat for just a few minutes per side until medium-rare, and then grill the onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper in a perforated grill pan over medium-high heat until tender and charred. Serve the sliced steak, veggies, warmed tortillas, and toppings separately allowing guests to assemble their fajitas to their liking. A perfect way to entertain family and friends, these fajitas are bold, bright, and bursting with flavor.
Mezcal-Marinated Fajitas Ingredients
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, smashed
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup mezcal
- ¼ cup of fish sauce
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1½ pounds skirt steak
- 1 large white onion, halved, sliced ⅓ inch thick
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced ⅓ inch thick
- 1 medium red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced ⅓ inch thick
- Bacon-Fat Flour Tortillas or store-bought tortillas
- sour cream
- grated cheddar
- pico de gallo
- favorite salsa
Mezcal-Marinated Fajitas Directions
- Whisk chiles, garlic, lime juice, mezcal, fish sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, oregano, cumin, and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Seal and turn to coat. Chill at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Prepare a gas grill for 2-zone heat; set one burner at medium-high and one or two burners at high. Alternatively, prepare a charcoal grill for high heat. Grill steak over high heat, turning occasionally, until charred, 2–3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Slice against the grain into ½"-thick strips.
- Toss onions and 3 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl to coat; season with salt and black pepper. (If you have a perforated grill pan, now’s the time to pull it out!) Grill over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until charred and tender, 6–10 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
- Toss bell peppers and remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl to coat; season with salt and black pepper. Grill over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until charred and tender, 6–10 minutes. Arrange on a plate next to onions.
- Serve steak and grilled onions and bell peppers with tortillas, sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, and salsa alongside for assembling fajitas.
Taken from bonappetit.com