Summer is the high season for beach visits and enjoying the sun and waves. Bring the ocean home in our next Sizzling Summer Series recipe: Lime & Thyme Grilled Shrimp. With an explosion of flavor and texture in every bite, these shrimp are sure to be a Sunday afternoon favorite, whether you’re cooking for a large crowd or a small gathering.
This recipe calls for cazuelas, sturdy clay dishes used in South America, or a large high-sided sauté pan. The shrimp are quickly seared on the grill and then added to a buttery lime sauce to finish cooking. Grilled French bread balances the shrimp and brings another texture to the dish. The Worcestershire sauce brings sweetness and marries perfectly with the butter and lime juice. When served, these shrimp look just as good as they taste. So fire up the grill, grab a drink, and bring a taste of the ocean to your backyard.
Lime & Thyme Grilled Shrimp Ingredients
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 pounds extra-jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), shell left on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 loaf of French bread
Lime & Thyme Grilled Shrimp Directions
- Heat the grill to high.
- Place a few large cazuelas or a large high-sided saute pan on the grill grates. Add the butter, pepper, salt, lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and thyme, and cook until the butter has melted and the mixture begins to simmer.
- While the butter mixture is melting, toss the shrimp with the oil and place them on the grill in an even layer. Grill for 20 to 30 seconds per side, then transfer to the butter mixture, stir to combine and cook until the shrimp are just cooked through about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- While shrimp is cooking, split bread in half, sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper, and place on grill, cut side down, for 1 to 2 minutes until toasted.
- Serve shrimp with the grilled bread.