Grilled Vegetable Portobello Mushroom Tacos - Terrific Grilled Taco Series
The wonderful world of the taco is diverse in styles and also in contents. From different proteins, sauces, vegetables, and topping, the combinations are endless. Next up in the Terrific Grilled Taco Series is Grilled Vegetable Portobello Mushroom Tacos, a vegan and gluten-free alternative that is packed with vivacious flavor and wonderful texture. Crowned by grilled marinated Portobello mushrooms, grilled corn and bell peppers round out the vegetables for a grand feast.
Begin preparing the mushrooms for the grill by marinating them in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Grill fresh corn and bell peppers on the grill until dark and beginning to char, and then grill the mushrooms until browned. Slice thin and layer the mushrooms, peppers, corn, black beans, cabbage, kimchi, jalapenos, a squeeze of lime, and cilantro and warmed corn tortillas. With beautiful Mexican seasoning and heat, combined with fresh cabbage and kimchi, these tacos feature an abundance of textures and aromatics that are balanced and vibrant. Tacos are for everyone whether classic or experimental, con Carne or vegan, and should be experienced in your own backyard with Terrific Grilled Taco Series.
Grilled Vegetable Portobello Mushroom Tacos Ingredients
- 1/3 cup Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 ears corn
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8–12 corn or flour tortillas
Grilled Vegetable Portobello Mushroom Tacos Directions
- Heat outdoor grill or, if you don’t have a grill, heat a skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl or plastic bag, add balsamic vinegar, juice of 1/2 lime, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Add portobello mushrooms; toss to coat mushrooms. Let them sit for at least 15 minutes, flipping and stirring the mushroom caps.
- Remove cornhusks. Using a grill pan, grill corn and bell peppers until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Rotate corn to brown on all sides. (If you don’t have a grill, sauté peppers until tender and browned about 10 minutes. Place corn on a baking sheet, broil for 5 minutes, flip, then broil for 5 more minutes.)
- Place mushrooms on the grill, or a skillet. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until browned.
- Place black beans, cabbage, and kimchi in individual bowls to prepare for serving.
- When the vegetables are fully cooked, remove from grill or skillet. Slice mushrooms thinly. Cut corn off the cob. Place all vegetables on a serving plate.
- To make a taco, place a tortilla on a plate. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, corn, black beans, cabbage, and kimchi. Top with jalapeño slices, a squeeze of remaining lime juice, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Taken from emilieeats.com