We are one week closer to finding the answer to the most pressing question of the new year: who’s going to the Super Bowl! The Super Bowl Grilling Series continues to fill your game day smorgasbord with Grilled Tortellini and Italian Sausage Skewers. Another fan favorite finger food, these skewers feature Italian sausage, fresh veggies, grilled cheese-stuffed tortellini, and marinara sauce for dipping; it’s like pasta primavera on a stick!
Begin cooking the tortellini in boiling salted water, slicing the sausage diagonally in ¼” slices, and slicing the yellow squash, zucchini, and red onion. Assemble the skewers alternating ingredients, drizzle olive oil over them, and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Grill over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes, sprinkling fresh grated Parmesan directly over the skewers for a salty finish. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce and get ready for all the gridiron fun as you root for your team to win it all. Just be careful with all o’ the hoop and hollerin’ not to get stabbed by a skewer.
Grilled Tortellini and Italian Sausage Skewers Ingredients
- 1 package fresh cheese tortellini (10-12 oz)
- 4 precooked Italian sausage links diagonally cut into 1/4 in slices
- 1 small yellow squash sliced into rings
- 1 small zucchini sliced into rings
- 1/4 small red onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 8 bamboo or metal skewers
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese freshly shaved
- 12 oz marinara suace
Grilled Tortellini and Italian Sausage Skewers Directions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Immerse the tortellini in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
- Set your grill to medium-high (around 400-450 degrees). Close the lid and allow the grill to preheat while you prepare your skewers.
- Assemble all of the ingredients for the skewers on a large cutting board or work surface.
- Alternate skewering the tortellini, sausage and vegetables until all of the skewers have been filled.
- Drizzle the skewers with the olive oil. Season with the salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Place the skewers directly on the hot grill grate and cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, turning as necessary. While the skewers cook, warm the marinara sauce in a small saucepan.
- Shave the Parmesan cheese directly over the hot skewers on the grill and allow to cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately with the warmed marinara sauce. Top with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Taken from HeyGrillHey.com