Grilled Summer Squash Tacos - Terrific Grilled Taco Series
As a child, summer meant warm days spent playing outside with friends and family until it was too dark to see anymore. In summer, we all seemed more carefree and happy than during any other time of year! Even though summertime has officially ended, there is still time to feast on the bounty of rich summery food and veggies.
The Terrific Grilled Taco Series continues with another mouth-watering dish that will keep you coming back for more - Grilled Summer Squash Tacos. Great for all occasions and any time of day, these tacos feature charred and crunchy zucchini and yellow squash with creamy guacamole and your favorite toppings. They are the perfect summer dish and a great way to end summer.
The zucchini and yellow squash take center stage because they are robust and solid enough to provide incredible texture when not grilled too long. With their high moisture content, the squash can become soggy, so it's important to watch them on the grill, so they stay crunchy. Seasoned with chili powder and cajun spices, the squash is grilled over medium-high heat until heated through and charred and beautiful on the outside. Layer on warmed tortillas with fresh guacamole, red onion, cilantro, and cotija cheese. With each bite, you will marvel that a meatless taco can taste so good.
Grilled Summer Squash Tacos Ingredients
- 1 lb summer squash (zucchini and yellow squash mix)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- small pinch each of chili powder, cajun seasoning, cayenne, and salt
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 8 corn tortillas
- red onion
- cojita cheese
Grilled Summer Squash Tacos Directions
- Cut the squash in half length-wise and then into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Toss the squash with olive oil and spices to taste.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Sear squash on all sides just until heated through and crispy on the outside. Remove from grill and place on platter.
- In a small bowl, mash avocados with lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- Optional- but I like to throw the tortillas on the grill for just a minute to heat through!
- To serve tacos, spread some smashed avocado on each tortilla and then top with 3-4 pieces of summer squash.
- Optional: top each taco with crumbled cojita cheese (or feta), fresh cilantro, and thinly sliced red onion.
Taken from mountainmamacooks.com https://mountainmamacooks.com/taco-tuesday-grilled-summer-squash-tacos/#tasty-recipes-16991