Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer vacation, peak season at amusement parks, the summer box office, the opening of campgrounds, and most importantly - the high season of barbecue! Just two weeks away, it’s time to get your menu ready for this hallowed day of feasting because Memorial Day is Grilling Day! For a lovely side dish that will not disappoint, try Grilled Summer Squash and Red Onion with Feta, featuring roasted veggies topped with tangy vinegar and garlic and salty feta.
Pulling from a technique called escabeche, we will take a different approach for this dish of marinating after grilling. After grilling the squash and red onion over medium-high heat until beautiful grill marks form, arrange them on a serving platter with feta and bay leaves. Cover the veggies with a marinade of white wine vinegar, garlic, and olive oil and let it sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. The acid will preserve and combine for a beautiful pairing of texture and flavor. Say goodbye to soft, bland squash this summer and hello to amazing new recipes because Memorial Day is Grilling Day!
Grilled Summer Squash and Red Onion with Feta Ingredients
- ½ cup plus 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 4 medium summer squash and/or zucchini, cut lengthwise ¼" thick
- 1 medium red onion, cut through root end into 8 wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz. feta, crumbled into large pieces
- 4 banana peppers from a jar, thinly sliced crosswise
- Generous pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Grilled Summer Squash and Red Onion with Feta Directions
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; lightly oil grate. Whisk garlic, vinegar, and ½ cup oil in a small bowl to combine; set marinade aside.
- Toss squash, onion, and bay leaves on a rimmed baking sheet with the remaining 3 Tbsp. oil to coat; season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Arrange squash and onion on the grate. Grill squash, undisturbed, until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Turn over and grill on the second side for about 2 minutes until tender and starting to release liquid. Transfer squash back to baking sheet. Grill onion, occasionally turning, until tender and charred around the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer back to baking sheet.
- Arrange squash, onion, bay leaves, and feta on a rimmed platter and pour reserved marinade over. Scatter banana peppers on top and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Let sit at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.