Grilled Scallops with Nori, Ginger, and Lime – Super Bowl Grilling Series
The biggest party of the year is here, but is your game day menu set? With an afternoon full of fanatical fun and fellowship, the Super Bowl Grilling Series has what you need to make your buffet as exciting as the game. Finishing out the season is Grilled Scallops with Nori, Ginger, and Lime. These succulent shellfish are grilled in just minutes, feature amazing texture and richness, and are served with refreshing lime mayo. The beautifully browned scallops are dusted with ground nori, lime zest, and ginger that resemble sparkling glitter for your taste buds.
To elevate this dish to the next level, begin with the freshest dry scallops you can find. Since wet scallops are treated with a water solution to preserve them while adding water weight, dry scallops will sear and caramelize better. Create the lime mayo by combining mayonnaise with lime juice and salt. A fragrant spice mixture of ground nori, coriander, ginger, and oil is used to coat the scallops before skewering. For easier grilling, thread scallops onto a set of two skewers so they don’t turn and flip clumsily. Grill over medium-high heat for about three minutes a side and serve over lime mayo dusted with lime zest, Aleppo-style pepper, and ground nori for a sensory overload experience. With all the drama and spectacle, there is nothing like Super Bowl Sunday, so here’s to fantastic food to match and keep you energized throughout with the Super Bowl Grilling Series.
Grilled Scallops with Nori, Ginger, and Lime Ingredients
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 2 toasted nori sheet
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
- 24 large dry sea scallops, side muscles removed, patted dry
- 1 lime
- 6 scallions, dark green parts only, very thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. Aleppo-style or other mild red pepper flakes or gochugaru (coarse Korean red pepper powder)
- A spice mill; 16 8" wooden skewers, soaked at least 1 hour
Grilled Scallops with Nori, Ginger, and Lime Directions
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Mix mayonnaise, lime juice, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl; set lime mayo aside.
- Finely grind nori in a spice mill. Transfer half to a small bowl; set aside for serving. Transfer remaining nori to a large bowl and mix in coriander, ginger, and 2 Tbsp. oil. Add scallops and toss to coat.
- Thread 3 scallops onto 2 skewers. (This will keep scallops in place and make them easy to turn. You can also use this method for shrimp and small peppers like shishito and Padrón.) Repeat with remaining scallops and skewers. Season both sides with salt.
- Clean and oil grate, then immediately place scallops on the outside edge of the grill so that the skewers are hanging off the side. Grill, turning scallops with handles of skewers until grill marks appear and scallops are just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, depending on their size.
- Spread lime mayo on a platter and place skewers with scallops on top. Finely grate the zest from lime half over, then squeeze juice over. Top with scallions and sprinkle with Aleppo-style pepper and reserved nori.
Taken from bonappetit.com