The fragrance of fresh food roasting on the grill is like music in the air – it’s contagious and fun. Continuing the Springtime Grilling Series, we have Grilled Salmon Steaks with Chile-Lime Butter. This is a bright and gorgeous dish highlighting the freshness of salmon, the uniqueness of a European chile, and the sparkle of citrus infusion. This fish will give you something to sing and dance about!
The butter is seasoned with fresh lime juice and Piment d'Espelette chile powder, offering peach and sea brine hints and a nuanced, subtle heat. The salmon steaks are simply seasoned with coarse sea salt to awaken their natural flavors. Super simple to prepare and able to sear in minutes, this is a beautifully efficient meal for when time is short. Don your dancing shoes and singing voice and start the grill; it's time for grillin’ in the spring with the Springtime Grilling Series from Summerset Grills.
“I’m grillin’ in the spring, Just grillin’ in the spring, What a glorious feeling, I’m grillin' again…."
Grilled Salmon Steaks with Chile-Lime Butter Ingredients
Butter (Yields about ½ cup)
- 1/4 lb. (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, lightly toasted and coarsely ground
- 3/4 tsp. freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt,
- 1/2 tsp. Piment d’Espelette chile powder or crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1-1/2 Tbs. olive oil; more for brushing the grill
- Four to six 1-1/4-inch-thick salmon steaks (6 to 8 oz. each)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
Grilled Salmon Steaks with Chile-Lime Butter Directions
- Beat the butter in a small bowl with a spoon to loosen it. Mix in the remaining ingredients until they’re evenly distributed.
- Scrape the butter onto a sheet of parchment or plastic wrap and roll it into a neat log, using the parchment or plastic as a guide. Twist the ends and refrigerate the butter until firm, about 1 hour. Keep the butter chilled until ready to use.
- Clean and oil the grates on a gas grill and heat the grill to medium-high, or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire.
- Meanwhile, generously coat both sides of the salmon with the oil and season both sides with salt. Let the salmon sit at room temperature for 15 minutes (while the grill heats).
- Grill the salmon steaks directly over the heat source (covered on a gas grill, uncovered on a charcoal grill), without touching, until they have good grill marks, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip the steaks and grill until the second sides have good grill marks and the fish is done to your liking, another 2 to 4 minutes. (Check for doneness by slicing into one of the thicker pieces.)
- When the salmon is nearly done, remove the butter from the refrigerator and slice it into thin rounds.
- The second the salmon comes off the grill, top each steak with two butter rounds. Serve immediately.
Taken from finecooking.com https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/grilled-salmon-steaks-with-sea-salt-chile-lime-butter