Grilled Pork and Onion Tacos - Terrific Grilled Taco Series
Everyone loves tacos! It's like an open canvas of limitless possible filling and ingredient options. You can use just about any type of filling you have on hand: grilled chicken, steak, fish fillets, and even vegetables. The Terrific Grilled Taco Series continues with Grilled Pork and Onion Tacos, featuring a simple seasoning of only salt, pepper, and chili powder, combined with charred sweet onions. Grilling pork quickly keeps it juicy and imparts a toasted, smoky flavor that is wonderful in these tacos.
Another reason tacos are a favorite is they can be complex or straightforward in preparation. These grilled tacos involve simple pork cutlets and large sweet onion rounds brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. The onion rounds will take about eight minutes to soften, darken, and char. Before grilling, rub the pork with chili powder, and sear over medium-high heat for two minutes per side or cooked through. Slice the pork and onions and serve on warmed tortillas with your favorite toppings like avocado, cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.
The caramelized fat of the pork is beautifully matched by the sweetness of the charred onions. Rich and dreamy, these tacos are sure to be a hit at your next party or event!
Grilled Pork and Onion Tacos Ingredients
- Eight 1/4-inch-thick pork loin cutlets (about 2 pounds)
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- Eight 6-inch flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 Hass avocado, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
Grilled Pork and Onion Tacos Directions
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Arrange the cutlets and onion on a large baking sheet, brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Season the cutlets with the chile powder.
- Grill the onions over moderately high heat, turning once, until charred and tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm. Grill the cutlets, turning once until just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to the cutting board. Coarsely chop the onions and cut the pork into 1/2-inch strips; transfer to a platter. Serve with tortillas, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.
Taken from foodandwine.com https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-pork-and-onion-tacos