For some, the end of summer is a melancholy transition to autumn and a new school year. But we rejoice with hand-raised exuberance at the convergence of our two favorite things: football and game day grilling! The Game Day Grilling Series is back to get your menu set for kickoff, starting with Grilled Hot Dogs with Hatch Pineapple Salsa. Hitting sweet and salty notes with medium heat, it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, making it perfect for the big game or any other get-together with friends!
Grilling hot dogs may seem like an obvious choice when hosting a party, but there are plenty of ways to make them stand out from the crowd. Using Hatch green chile mixed with pineapple, red onion, and lime, a refreshing and sweet salsa brings tons of flavor to the dog. Hatch peppers are grown in New Mexico, and they have a deliciously smoky flavor that pairs well with bacon and beef or pork hot dogs. The Hatch pineapple salsa is perfect instead of traditional ketchup or mustard because it brings sweet and spicy flavors. So get ready for the convergence of everything good and right in time and space; the Game Day Grilling Series is back!
Grilled Hot Dogs with Hatch Pineapple Salsa Ingredients
- 1 1/2 c. fresh pineapple
- 2 (4-oz.) Hatch Chiles, diced
- 1/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 seeded Fresno chiles
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 bun-length hot dogs (your favorite brand)
- 16 slices of bacon, cooked
- Hot dog buns
- Pepper Jack cheese, grated for topping
Grilled Hot Dogs with Hatch Pineapple Salsa Directions
- Toss together pineapple, Hatch Chiles, red onion, fresh cilantro, Fresno chiles, and lime juice. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill hot dogs over medium-high heat until slightly charred all over.
- Assemble promptly on warmed hot dog buns with a slice of cooked bacon and sprinkled with pepper Jack cheese to melt.
- Top with two Tablespoons of Hatch Pineapple Salsa and serve.