Football season is amongst us – a time of fun, fraternity, and food. It's our favorite time of year, or should I say, the beginning of our favorite time of year. We are continuing the Game Day Grilling Series with Grilled Chicken, Tomato, and Onion Sandwiches to set your table for each game day. These sandwiches feature ingredients that are all prepared on the grill, adding multiple layers of flavor as each part is transformed by flame.
Starting with the veggies, the tomatoes and onion are brushed with olive oil and grilled over high heat until they are softened and slightly charred. The fire awakens the flavor of both, bringing out their sweetness, and changing their texture. The chicken is simply seasoned with salt and pepper and then browned on the grill. An olive relish made of olives, garlic, oregano, olive oil, and pepper is used to marry all the grilled ingredients together, adding rich saltiness and aroma. For the final textural component, crusty rolls are sliced, brushed with olive oil, and toasted on the grill. Grab your team apron or jersey, fire up the grill, and get ready for football!
Grilled Chicken, Tomato, and Onion Sandwiches Ingredients
- 3 oz. pitted mixed olives
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano
- ¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 4 crusty rolls
- 1¾ lb. thin chicken cutlets
Grilled Chicken, Tomato, and Onion Sandwiches Directions
- Light a grill. In a mini food processor, pulse the pitted olives with the crushed garlic and oregano until chopped. Add the 1/4 cup plus two tablespoons of olive oil and pulse until finely chopped. Season with pepper.
- Brush the tomatoes, onion, and cut sides of the rolls with olive oil. Grill the tomatoes and onion over high heat until they are softened and lightly charred, about 2 minutes for the tomatoes and 6 minutes for the onion. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and grill them over high heat, occasionally turning, until they are lightly browned in spots and cooked through 5 to 6 minutes. Cut the chicken cutlets to fit the toasted rolls and top with the sliced tomatoes, sliced onion, and olive relish. Close the sandwiches, cut them in half, and serve right away.