Each week, with the season on the line, one team rises, and one falls. It's the Super Bowl Grilling Series, and we are nearing the end with only four teams left to battle it out for the right to be in the big dance. We drive on with Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Basil Pesto, celebrating the journey with tasty football party food right from your grill. Perfect for watching the big game this weekend, these fistfuls of flavor feature robust flavor and plenty of textures.
The chicken is grilled over medium heat and brushed with sweet chili sauce to add sweetness and caramelization. The rich homemade pesto features bold flavor from the herbs and garlic, a little heat from the jalapenos, and gorgeous sweetness from the almonds and parmesan cheese. Using toasted slices of Dave’s Killer Bread, assemble the sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, chicken, cheese, and plenty of pesto for an incredible experience of savory goodness to match the drama of the game. Fitting for a victorious celebration and comforting to console through bitter defeat, these Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Basil Pesto will carry you through the Super Bowl Grilling Series.
Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Basil Pesto Ingredients
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce divided
- 2 bunches of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 bunch leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato sliced
- 6 oz provolone cheese
- 8 slices Dave's Killer Bread
Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Basil Pesto Directions
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Make sure grill grates are clean and oiled. Set up both a direct heat zone and an indirect heat zone
- Brush boneless, skinless chicken breasts with olive oil. Place over direct heat and close lid. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness.
- Using a clean brush, generously brush chicken with some sweet chili sauce, and cook for 1 minute. Flip the chicken, brush the other side with sweet chili sauce, and cook for 1 minute more. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees at the thickest part of the chicken.
- Remove from grill. Allow to rest for a couple of minutes, then slice the meat or pull with two forks.
- In a food processor, combine basil, oregano, garlic, red onion, almonds, parmesan cheese, jalapeno peppers, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pulse until desired consistency.
- Toast bread in a toaster or on the grill.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a large platter, and top each with lettuce, tomatoes, chicken, cheese, and pesto. Place the top pieces of bread on each sandwich. You can garnish with sliced jalapeno peppers or pickles.
- Serve with a big old sandwich loving smile!
Taken from cravingsofalunatic.com