Temperatures are warming, days are getting longer, and the grill is getting hot! Memorial Day is Grilling day, and it is just around the corner to kick off the summer grilling season. With more time at home, now is the time to test out your Memorial Day menu with Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Caesar-ish Dressing. There's nothing like a fist full of goodness sitting by the pool, relaxing with friends and family. This chicken sandwich doesn't disappoint with tangy mustard marinated chicken and refreshing funnel-basil slaw.
Begin making the marinade by mixing together mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and olive oil until emulsified. Use some to marinate the chicken, and then whisk in mayonnaise and cornichons with the rest to form the special Caesar-ish sauce. Using chicken thighs is preferred because of the higher fat content and moisture. Grill the chicken over medium-high heat and toast the brioche buns until golden brown. Prep the slaw by combining chopped fennel, basil, red pepper flakes, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Assemble on toasted buns with special sauce, fresh lettuce and tomato, chicken, and slaw for an explosion of flavor and textures that is delightful. Bring this over the top chicken sandwich to your backyard to bring a thrilling smile to you and yours because Memorial Day is Grilling Day!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Caesar-ish Dressing Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 6 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped cornichons (about 9)
- Kosher salt
- 4 large or 6 small skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1½ lb. total)
- 4 brioche buns, split
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced crosswise, fronds reserved
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 small head Little Gem lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, sliced ¼" thick
Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Caesar-ish Dressing Directions
- Whisk mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 2 tsp. black pepper in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, stream in ⅓ cup oil until emulsified. Transfer half of marinade to a small bowl, then whisk in mayonnaise and cornichons (this will be the special sauce). Season mayo dressing with salt; set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and add to the medium bowl with remaining marinade. Toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature, occasionally tossing, at least 30 minutes, or chill up to 4 hours.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Lightly oil grate. Grill chicken, turning once halfway through, until well charred and cooked through, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let rest 5 minutes. If you have 6 chicken thighs, cut 2 of them in half and use 1½ thighs per sandwich.
- Grill buns cut side down until lightly charred, about 30 seconds. Transfer to platter with chicken.
- While the chicken rests, coarsely chop fennel fronds. Toss fronds, sliced fennel, basil, red pepper flakes (if using), and remaining 2 tsp. oil and 2 tsp. lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread reserved mayonnaise dressing on cut sides of each bun. Arrange 1–2 lettuce leaves and sliced tomato on bottom halves. Top each with chicken, then arrange fennel salad over. Close sandwiches with top buns.
Taken from bonappetit.com