Are you ready for some football? The big game is coming; however, just as the commercials have become part of the spectacle, so has the food. Our next Super Bowl Grilling Series feature is Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Butter Dip. This is a more sophisticated alternative to chips and dip, although I'm fine with both. In fact, a game day menu worthy of the title game deserves multiple dips, finger food, entrees, and drinks to get you through all the action - no pressure, though!
Grilled veggies are always better, and they look lovely as well. These grilled artichokes are first soaked and prepared in lemon water before being steamed and then grilled. The delicious dip is made simply of butter, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and red pepper flakes that come out creamy and tangy. Everything about this meal is simple and speaks to the quality of the ingredients.
So get ready, grab a cold drink, and prepare to go insane as your team runs up and down the field while you feast on the indelible delights of the Super Bowl Grilling Series!
Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Butter Dip Ingredients
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 large artichokes, about 3 pounds
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup(s) mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper
Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Butter Dip Directions
- Prepare the artichokes: Fill a large bowl with cold water and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon half into it. Remove the stems from the artichokes, cut the pointy tips off the outer leaves, and cut 3/4 inches off the top. Rub all cut areas with the remaining lemon half. As you work, place each trimmed artichoke into the bowl of lemon water until ready to steam.
- Steam the artichokes: Drain the artichokes and place, stem side up, in a steamer basket over about 1 inch of boiling water and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until tender -- about 30 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Grill the artichokes: Heat the grill to medium. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inner pink leaves and the fuzzy choke. Toss the cleaned artichokes with the oil, salt, and pepper and grill until golden - 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Stir the remaining lemon juice, butter, mayonnaise, and red pepper together and serve as an accompanying dip.
Taken from CountryLiving.com