Get ready to light up Independence Day with our Fourth of July Smoky-Sweet BBQ Beef Short Ribs! These hearty, succulent ribs are the spark that will light your patriotic fire and keep it burning throughout the day. With a spicy rub and savory-sweet sauce that explodes with flavor with each bite, these ribs will be everyone's go-to when it comes time to chow down.
Do you want bold flavor and tender meat this holiday season? Look no further than this recipe. We're talking about ribs roasted to perfection and dripping with a sauce that's layered with flavor. But here's the kicker, you don't have to spend your precious holiday working in the kitchen. With a little prep work the day before or in the morning, get those ribs slow-roasting in the oven so you can focus on your loved ones and enjoy the celebration.
The rub we've created is no joke, featuring a blend of bold spices penetrating deep into the beef. And the sauce? It's a blend of dark brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, fresh garlic, onions, and finely chopped chipotle. Trust us; you'll have much to be thankful for this July 4th.
Whether it's a backyard bash or just an intimate meal for you and your family, fire up the grill and grab some of our mouthwatering Smoky-Sweet BBQ Beef Short Ribs – they're guaranteed to elevate any Fourth of July celebration! So don your red, white, and blue, and get ready for the Fourth of July Grilling Series!
Fourth of July Smoky-Sweet BBQ Beef Short Ribs Ingredients
For the Ribs
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 pounds (2- to 2-1/2-inch-thick) flanken-cut beef short ribs
For the Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fourth of July Smoky-Sweet BBQ Beef Short Ribs Directions
For the Ribs
- Place all ingredients except the ribs in a medium bowl and combine. Place the ribs in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and arrange them in an even layer. Rub the spice mixture on all sides of the ribs evenly and cover the dish with aluminum foil. (At this point, you can roast the ribs immediately, but for the best flavor and texture, refrigerate them for up to 24 hours.)
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. (If you rubbed the ribs in advance, remove them from the refrigerator and set them aside at room temperature while the oven is heating for at least 20 minutes.)
- Place the ribs in the oven and roast until fork-tender, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
For the Barbecue Sauce
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, whisk to combine, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, whisking occasionally, until the flavors have melded and the sauce has reduced to about 2 1/2 cups, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to grill the ribs.
To Grill the Ribs
- Heat a gas grill to medium (about 350°F to 450°F).
- Place the ribs on the grill and brush them with some sauce. Cover the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom of the ribs, about 5 minutes. Turn the ribs, brush with sauce, cover, and cook another 5 minutes. Flip and brush every 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened and formed a glaze and the ribs are heated through about 20 minutes total. Transfer the remaining sauce to a serving bowl and serve with the ribs.
Taken from chowhound.com