Fireworks, celebrations, and patriotic songs – our national birthday is just around the corner, and so is the year's biggest block party. Bring on the fire these unique Independence Day dishes beginning with Glazed Chicken Breasts with Coffee BBQ Sauce. Featuring bold flavors of coffee, molasses, and sherry, this sauce is a slow process of flavor development to achieve mouthwatering excellence.
Finished with honey, salt, and pepper, this rich sauce is perfect for any protein. The flavor building begins with sautéing shallots, garlic, and habanero in butter. After adding spices, tomato paste, and dry sherry, the coffee and molasses are added and reduced by half. Grill the chicken while continuously glazing with the sauce for a deep, dark, syrupy finish, and serve with the remaining sauce because you can’t get enough of it. So, enjoy the celebration of freedom, family, and friends this July 4th, and whether yours is the biggest or brightest fireworks display on the block, you can be sure your chicken will be the showstopper.
Fourth of July Glazed Chicken Breasts with Coffee BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, very finely chopped
- 8 medium garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/2 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 chicken breast halves on the bone (about 10 ounces each)
Fourth of July Glazed Chicken Breasts with Coffee BBQ Sauce Directions
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the shallots, garlic, and habanero and cook over moderately low heat, frequently stirring, until the shallots soften and begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the coriander and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until glossy, about 1 minute. Pour the sherry and simmer over moderately low heat until slightly syrupy, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, coffee, and molasses and simmer for 1 hour, until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper. Divide for cooking and some for serving.
- Light the grill. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken breasts over medium-high heat, frequently brushing with the glaze, for 8 minutes. Turn and cook, brushing with more glaze, until the chicken is just done, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
- Remove, rest, and serve with remaining barbecue sauce.
Taken from epicurious.com https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/glazed-chicken-breasts-with-coffee-bbq-sauce-1270275