Easiest-Ever Grilled Veggie Burgers with Pickled Onions and Chipotle Yogurt – Sizzling Summer Series
The backyard barbecue is a staple of summertime, providing the perfect opportunity to spend quality time with friends and family while cooking up some juicy burgers. But if you're not in the mood for beef or chicken, the Sizzling Summer Series has an easy solution: Easiest-Ever Grilled Veggie Burgers with Pickled Onions and Chipotle Yogurt! From the mixing bowl to the grill, these flavorful patties can be ready in just thirty minutes. With fantastic flavor, tangy-sweet pickled red onions, and spicy chipotle yogurt sauce, we may just change your mind about veggie burgers forever!
The base for the burgers will be shredded tofu, and it is vital to squeeze as much moisture as possible from the tofu so that patties hold together. Use a pot or rice cooker to prepare the quinoa while using a skillet for cooking down the tofu and black beans to prep them for the patty mixture. Combine almond butter, mayonnaise, garlic, chili powder, and salt with the tofu-bean mixture and quinoa. Form a paste from flaxseed and water and then add it to the patty mixture. Divide into eight patties and grill over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes per side. Serve on toasted buns piled with your favorite toppings, pickled onions, and chipotle yogurt for an explosion of flavor and texture thought impossible without meat! Enjoy this meatless burger as a lifestyle, or just a momentary departure from your carnivorous ways, with the Sizzling Summer Series from Summerset Grills!
Easiest-Ever Grilled Veggie Burgers with Pickled Onions and Chipotle Yogurt Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 14-oz. block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 14.5-oz. cans black beans, rinsed, drained well
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (vegan, if you are vegan)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 4 tsp. chili powder (make sure it’s salt-free)
- 4 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 2 tsp. Morton kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (we prefer red or black), cooled
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Toasted buns, pickled onions, tomato, lettuce, pickles, and chipotle yogurt (for serving)
- ½ cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chipotle in adobo
- Pinch of salt
Easiest-Ever Grilled Veggie Burgers with Pickled Onions and Chipotle Yogurt Directions
- Prepare a grill for medium-high, direct heat. Clean and oil grate. Shred tofu using the large holes of a box grater. Firmly squeeze tofu in between paper towels to drain as much excess liquid as possible.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Cook tofu and beans for about 10–12 minutes, occasionally tossing until beans look slightly dried out and their skins are darkened.
- Meanwhile, whisk almond butter and mayonnaise in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in garlic, chili powder, and salt. Add tofu-bean mixture and cooked quinoa and stir well to combine.
- Stir flaxseed and ¼ cup cold water in a small bowl. Let sit until thick paste forms, about 1 minute. Add to tofu-bean mixture along with cornstarch and stir well to combine.
- Using oiled hands, form mixture into 8–10 patties about ½" thick (about a scant ¾ cup each). Grill until lightly charred around the edges, about 2 minutes. Turn carefully using a metal spatula to cleanly lift off grate and grill until lightly charred on the second side and warmed through, about 2 minutes more.
- Place burgers on the bottom buns. Pile high with pickled onions, tomato, lettuce, pickles, and chipotle yogurt. Close with top bun and serve.
Do Ahead: Patties can be formed 3 days ahead. Tightly wrap each in plastic and chill.
- Whisk the first three ingredients and 1 cup water in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar; pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
Do Ahead: This can be made two weeks ahead. Cover and chill. Drain onions before using.
- Combine the ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/easiest-ever-grilled-veggie-burgers