It’s the last week before Christmas and the frantic pace of finishing the gift shopping, wrapping the gifts, and fulfilling the even busier schedule because of 101-holiday parties can sap all the joy of the season right out of you. Let your friends at Summerset take some of the menu planning from you so you can experience a very merry grilled Christmas! You need good fuel to keep up this schedule and Chipotle Maple Chicken features a rich and fruity marinade with a hit of chipotle heat to keep you warm and kicking. This is a flavor-packed dish that is cooked in just minutes making it perfect for a quick meal between engagements, but weighty enough to crown the Christmas Day table as well.
Begin by preparing the marinade and glaze with a sweet mixture of orange juice, maple syrup, apricot preserves balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard. Then create a spice mixture of chipotle chili powder, garlic, onion powder, basil, salt, oregano, pepper, and orange zest. Add the spice mixture to a portion of the marinade and marinate the chicken for at least two hours. The glaze is a reduction of the reserved marinade with butter, cornstarch, and water. Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side, remove from grill, and brush with glaze. Saucy, sticky, sweet, and spicy – this chicken rings all the bells for a terrific holiday meal. Make this Christmas more fun than frantic by remembering what is truly important, making those memories count, and having yourself a very merry grilled Christmas!
Chipotle Maple Chicken Ingredients
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (not the imitation breakfast kind)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
Chipotle Maple Chicken Directions
- Whisk together all of the Marinade/Glaze ingredients in a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup to a large freezer bag along with chicken and 1/4 cup olive oil. Reserve the rest separately for your Glaze.
- Mix all of the Spices in a small bowl. Remove 1/2 teaspoon and add to Glaze. Add all remaining spices to Chicken Marinade. Marinate Chicken 2-6 hours
- When ready to cook, let the chicken sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease and preheat grill to medium heat, 375 to 450°F. Drain chicken from the marinade and pat dry.
- Grill the chicken undisturbed for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F when chicken is done.)
- Meanwhile, whisk together reserved Glaze, 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water together in a small saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons butter and place the covered saucepan on the grill (or stove), and bring to a simmer (this can be done after the chicken is cooked if you don't have room on your grill). Once simmering, remove the lid and whisk until thickened. Brush cooked chicken with glaze and serve any extra as a sauce for rice or over potatoes/vegetables.
Taken from carlsbadcravings.com