It's time for a taco fest! With school starting up, the summertime festivities are winding down. The Sizzling Summer Series offers an end-of-summer, back-to-school taco fest with Carne Asada Street Tacos. With this classic taco recipe, you can enjoy all the flavors of a beloved street taco in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Marinated, spice-rubbed carne asada steak is the star of this dish and is melted to juicy, tender perfection in our warm corn tortillas. Our homemade guacamole is a creamy complement to the steak, pico de gallo adds a vibrant twist, and a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of Cotija cheese round out this street taco extravaganza.
So don't wait another minute! Get your grill ready and your mouth watering because in less than 20 minutes, you'll have delicious, melt-in-your-mouth Carne Asada Street Tacos at your fingertips. Grilling and cooking experts assure you this classic recipe will satisfy you and your guests.
Carne Asada Street Tacos Ingredients
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds flank steak pounded to an even thin thickness
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, chili powder
- 1 tsp EACH salt, onion powder, ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp EACH pepper, cayenne pepper
- 10-12 corn tortillas (like La Tortilla Factory)
- Pico de gallo recommended
- Guacamole recipe to follow
- Cotija cheese
- sour cream
- Homemade Salsa
- hot sauce
- 4 medium ripe avocados peeled and pitted
- 1 Roma tomato seeded, chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded, deveined, diced more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion rinsed, drained, patted dry
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- pepper to taste
Carne Asada Street Tacos Directions
- Add Spice Mix seasonings to a small bag or sealable container; whisk and set aside.
- Add all Marinade Ingredients (except steak) to a large freezer bag and whisk to combine. Add three tablespoons of Spice Mix to Marinade and whisk to combine. Add steak, squeeze out excess air, seal, and turn to evenly coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours (the longer, the better).
- While steak is marinating, prepare pico de gallo and other toppings aside from guacamole and refrigerate.
- When ready to grill, mix the remaining Spice Mix with two tablespoons of olive oil to create a wet Spice Rub.
- Discard the marinade and pat the steaks dry with a paper towel. Rub steak evenly all over with Spice Rub and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. I use this time to make guacamole (recipe to follow).
- Grease and preheat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to high heat. Add steak and turn down to medium-high. Grill steak for 5-6 minutes per side, turning once, for medium (recommended 145 degrees F). For medium- well, continue cooking steak over an indirect flame for 5-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness. *If you like your steaks rare, then use HIGH heat so you can get the charred outside in less time.
- Remove steak and let rest 10 minutes before chopping into small pieces.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave, in a skillet, or char on the grill or open gas stovetop flame until warm but still pliable (detailed instructions in notes).
- Assemble Street Tacos by layering warmed corn tortillas with carne asada steak, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and cotija. Serve with optional lime wedges and hot sauce.
- Mash avocados in a medium bowl to desired consistency. Fold in all remaining ingredients. Taste and add additional lime juice or salt to taste.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap (press the plastic to touch the top of the guacamole to prevent browning) and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Taken from carlsbadcravings.com https://carlsbadcravings.com/carne-asada-street-tacos/