Summertime is all about relaxing, having fun, rewarding experiences, and trying new things. Our next installment in our Sizzling Summer Series covers all of these and tastes good, too – BBQ Chicken Burgers. This recipe isn't just throwing a filet on a bun; these burgers are handmade with a ground chicken mixture that will knock your socks off! (That is if you wear socks, but probably not because it's summer… So these burgers will knock your flip-flops off!)
What sets these chicken burgers apart is the ground chicken combined with pulled pork and spices, adding a great depth of flavor. Homemade BBQ sauce is always better but can be substituted with your favorite pre-made sauce for even easier preparation. These don’t take any longer to cook than classic burgers giving you a fun alternative without adding more work or time. So fire up the grill, grab a drink, and hold on to your flip-flops!
BBQ Chicken Burgers Ingredients
For the sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp. grated (or very finely chopped) onion
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Hot sauce, to taste
For the burgers
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ¼ cup cornmeal (or ½ cup crumbled cornbread)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped pulled pork (optional)
- 5 tbsp. barbecue sauce, divided
- Burger buns, toasted on the grill
- Grilled onion slices
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Additional barbecue sauce
BBQ Chicken Burgers Directions
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- To make the barbecue sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the sauce thickens and is reduced to about 1 cup for about seven minutes, occasionally stirring. Remove from the heat. Chill until ready to use.
- To make the burgers, combine the ground chicken, cornmeal, scallion, cilantro, brown sugar, spices, pulled pork (if using), and two tablespoons of the barbecue sauce in a medium bowl and mix gently until well combined. Form the mixture into four equal patties. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Oil the grates of the grill. Place the burger patties on the heated grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Flip the burgers and brush the cooked sides generously with some of the remaining three tablespoons of barbecue sauce. Cook for about three minutes, then flip once more and brush the second side with barbecue sauce. Top with cheese slices, if using. Cook just until cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Place the burgers on the toasted buns and top with grilled onion slices and additional barbecue sauce as desired.
Taken from annies-eats.com http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/05/25/barbecue-chicken-burgers/