It's terrific to have football back - the ferocious competition, the heart-crushing drama, the nail-biting excitement, and the weekly feasts straight from your grill! The Game Day Grilling Series continues with Asian Salmon Burgers with Avocado and Hoisin Sauce, a tasty mouthful of goodness with each bite. Lovely salmon is combined with avocado, hoisin sauce, and more to form burger patties that are fresh, sweet, and succulent. There’s nothing like a fistful of flavor in one hand while your other hand is waving in disbelief at the TV, and you won’t be able to put these burgers down after tasting.
As with all fish, freshness is key to flavor, so begin with the freshest wild-caught salmon filets you can find. Cube the salmon and coarsely grind in a food processor with avocado, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, cilantro, green onions, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into four patties and refrigerate so they firm up and hold together while cooking. Oil patties with sesame oil and grill over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side. Mash remaining avocado with salt and pepper to create a refreshing spread. Assemble burgers on toasted buns with salmon patty, avocado spread, lettuce, tomato, and additional hoisin sauce for an epic experience to match the game.
Makes 4 burgers
Asian Salmon Burgers with Avocado and Hoisin Sauce Ingredients
Salmon Burger Patties
- 1 pound boneless, skinless salmon filets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (gently packed)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 3 green onions)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 avocado, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (about a 1-inch piece)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Remaining 3/4 of avocado
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/16 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole-grain sandwich buns (for sandwiches) or large lettuce leaves (for gluten-free wraps)
- Desired toppings: leaves of tender lettuce (like butter or Bibb), sliced tomato, plus additional hoisin sauce
Asian Salmon Burgers with Avocado and Hoisin Sauce Directions
- Place salmon, cilantro, green onions, hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons avocado, ginger, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a food processor. Using pulsed on/off bursts, briefly process until the mixture is combined and the salmon is coarsely ground to the consistency of your liking (we recommend that it’s still a bit chunky and that you’re careful not to turn it into a paste).
- Shape salmon mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties and place them on a plate.
- Cover and refrigerate a minimum of one hour, or overnight at most. (Also wrap and refrigerate remaining avocado.) This helps the delicate salmon patties to adhere together and makes them easier to work with and less likely to fall apart during cooking.
- Preheat your grill for medium heat. (Or preheat a large non-stick skillet on the grill over medium heat.) If grilling directly on grill grates, coat salmon patties with sesame oil. (If using a skillet, add sesame oil and swirl to coat.)
- Cook salmon patties in sesame oil, covered, for about 4 minutes on the first side. Gently flip the patties and cook about 3 minutes more, until salmon is cooked through but is not dried out and is still very tender and juicy.
- Meanwhile, as salmon cooks, mash remaining avocado with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/16 teaspoon black pepper.
- Serve salmon burgers immediately on whole grain buns, with mashed avocado mixture, tomato slices, lettuce, and additional hoisin sauce. For a gluten-free option, serve salmon patties on lettuce leaves as a lettuce wrap (also be sure to purchase gluten-free hoisin sauce).
Taken from twohealthykitchens.com